Anyone actually received 'Watkins at Large' LP Yet?

I have a spare original pressing if you're interested. Decent jacket (typical Transition splits, but image is clean and clear and beautiful), no booklet, vinyl is VG--has surface noise and some pops and clicks but the fidelity is still pretty astonishing--this was by far the best recording ever released on Transition in my opinion. Side one label is missing (but I will include a high resolution scanned copy)--again typical of Transition pressings.

This one isn't for the "audiophile," but for the jazz lover and collector of RARE pressings.

Anyone who wants to make an offer of this one, go ahead because I have no idea what to price it at. I know that NICE copies can sell for $800 or more and Chuck Nessa mentioned selling one for over $1000 a while back . . .

Edited by Allan Songer

• 1 month later...

:party:It's here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I gave this one a quick spin when it first arrived and was pleased as punch. Now that the initial giddiness has worn off and I've finally gotten around to spending some quality time with the LP and putting it up against other versions, I'm fast switching gears and am moving in reverse. Up against an older Toshiba (non-JRVG) cd version (TOCJ-5885) that sounds alive and has some electricity zipping through it, the LP -- while warm sounding -- is seriously light in the high end dept. On 'Phil T. McNasty's Blues' for instance, you can hear Taylor's cymbals...nice & crisp. Burrell sounds so much clearer on the cd that it's no contest. Same with Byrd who sounds like he's at arms length and not playing inside of a hall closet. I kept playing the track over and over thinking perhaps that I'd missed something....trying to convince myself that there's no way in hell that a 12-year old Toshiba burn is acing this brand new Classic Records classic. I've gotta face facts though --- unless of course I try to pin this on the older Denon TT with the Audio-Technica 440MLA cartridge that I just had installed 3 months ago. :mellow:

I have that TOCJ-5885 CD and I would be shocked to hear anything beating this CD for sound quality. It's one of the best-sounding Jazz CDs I own... it makes an excellent speaker demo CD. Smooth, full bass, nice mids and crisp highs. Plus the tunes are great. :D

I have had both the KING and the Toshiba reissues and 3 different copies of the original--never had a CD and haven't heard the Classic, but I was tempted. The KING is great, the Toshiba is nice but seems a bit more "polite"--not as dynamic and "in your face." The original is EXPLOSIVE--but it's so hard to find a copy that's quiet--and really EXPENSIVE too!! I am selling a VG- copy on ebay right now and I expect to get at least $200 for it.

Listening to the King LP it sounds pretty nice but sounds as if there's a bit of top-end roll-off that is inherent in the master. Typical of Kings the background/noise level is absolutely quiet - great quality. The sleeve is also a superb facsimile of the (usually dog-eared) original. Recommended.