"Here Comes the Sun: Nina Simone on RCA" tonight on Night L

nsnp1969germanybwsmu1nn.jpg

This week on Night Lights it's "Here Comes the Sun: Nina Simone on RCA." In late 1966 the fiercely individualistic singer and pianist Nina Simone signed with RCA Records and continued her genre-bending explorations of jazz, blues, pop, folk, and soul, recording songs such as Burt Bacharach and Hal David's "The Look of Love," Leonard Cohen's "Suzanne," civil-rights anthems such as "I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel to Be Free," and occasional standards such as Hoagy Carmichael's "I Get Along Without You Very Well." We'll hear all of those and more, Saturday, April 29 at 11:05 p.m. on WFIU and at 9 p.m. Central Time on WNIN-Evansville. The program will be posted Monday afternoon in the Night Lights archives.

This week on Night Lights it's "Here Comes the Sun: Nina Simone on RCA." In late 1966 the fiercely individualistic singer and pianist Nina Simone signed with RCA Records and continued her genre-bending explorations of jazz, blues, pop, folk, and soul, recording songs such as Burt Bacharach and Hal David's "The Look of Love," Leonard Cohen's "Suzanne," civil-rights anthems such as "I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel to Be Free," and occasional standards such as Hoagy Carmichael's "I Get Along Without You Very Well." We'll hear all of those and more, Saturday, April 29 at 11:05 p.m. on WFIU and at 9 p.m. Central Time on WNIN-Evansville. The program will be posted Monday afternoon in the Night Lights archives.

i'll be there.

dont forget that NINA AND PIANO suggestion!

talk about Karma. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Talk about karma! I'm listening to your first radio program about Nina Simone now! Spooky :crazy:

Month after month, that Simone program is in the top 5 list of most-hits for archived Night Lights shows.

"Here Comes the Sun: Nina Simone on RCA" is now archived.

As well as it should, you put together an outstanding program for the first one -- I'll be sure to make time tomarrow to listen to the new one.

Talk about karma! I'm listening to your first radio program about Nina Simone now! Spooky :crazy:

Month after month, that Simone program is in the top 5 list of most-hits for archived Night Lights shows.

"Here Comes the Sun: Nina Simone on RCA" is now archived.

As well as it should, you put together an outstanding program for the first one -- I'll be sure to make time tomarrow to listen to the new one.

Great show! :tup Didn't know she wrote a song with Langston Hughes. You just cost me money as I went over to Yourmusic.com and ordered all the cds they have for her.

• 10 months later...

We're re-airing this program this weekend on WFIU, WNIN, and Blue Lake Public Radio, but it's already archived for listening under the date of April 29, 2006.

Here are some videos of Nina Simone performing at the Central Park Harlem Festival in 1969:

Young, Gifted and Black

Next week: "Emily Remler: a Musical Remembrance."