Uh.... thanks for the unexpected plug. I take it you like them?

I haven't updated that portion of the site for ages--maybe I'll try to do that tonight or tomorrow. The site apparatus was getting very clumsy (it's all handmade templates in HTML, not PHP--this means that when I change the sidebar or crossreferences I have to update every page by hand!) & I was debating whether to shift over the posting of old reviews to the blog software I have on the site. Basically I taught myself CSS, HTML & Dreamweaver when designing it, so no wonder it's a little clutzy.

I haven't updated that portion of the site for ages--maybe I'll try to do that tonight or tomorrow. The site apparatus was getting very clumsy (it's all handmade templates in HTML, not PHP--this means that when I change the sidebar or crossreferences I have to update every page by hand!) & I was debating whether to shift over the posting of old reviews to the blog software I have on the site. Basically I taught myself CSS, HTML & Dreamweaver when designing it, so no wonder it's a little clutzy.

i do, indeed, and look forward to many more. it's an honor to cross paths.

i do, indeed, and look forward to many more. it's an honor to cross paths.

here is a your thoughtful review of a very thoughtful musician:

http://www.onefinalnote.com/features/2005/sandke/

glad to see the piece on Randy - I just did a session with him in NYC about two weeks ago - incredible musician, one of the most creative players I have ever worked with (not to mention that he's a great person as well) ; I had a long conversation with him just two days ago in which he discussed his frustration at virtually never working in New York; he spends a lot of time on the road -

we did a trio session for my upcoming CD - me on alto, Randy, and Scott Robinson on contra-bass clarinet - we did two tunes I'd written, one based on the changes to I'm Coming Virginia, the other on the changes to Yardbird Suite. It was quick and smooth (always easier not to use a drummer - no setup time), Scott played the bass lines. Every time I play with Randy he comes up with great stuff, lots of variation and great ideas. I was a little nervous, as I haven't recorded in some 15 years, and I've been playing alto only about a month (having switched from tenor), but it was a terrific studio (Systems 2 in Brooklyn) and we did it like the old days - in a circle, no isolation, essentially "live." (I also recorded three tunes with Matt Shipp at the same session, 2 of him solo on pieces I'd weitten, a third in a duo with me on guitar).

Edited by AllenLowe

Found that Randy's second version of "Ganjam" went well on the air with the recent Marty Erlich recording "News on the Rail," which was unexpected.

Sandke played in Muskegon, Michigan, during the 1980's with George Wein's Newport Jazz Festival All Stars. During the afternoon sound check and "rehearsal" Sandke kept bugging Wein about what they were going to play together. I caught Wein's eye and said, "Aren't you going to play 'Weatherbird'?" He looked at me in stunned silence for a moment and then said, "Oh, we didn't bring the music for that." Can't remember what number they settled on for the concert, though it was probably a standard, and Randy sounded clear as a bell all night.

And Nate is all that. Great web site.

Edited by Lazaro Vega