Art of Jazz

Hey thanks for the pointer--some good-sounding things there: never seen Eddie Henderson for instance, & it's been ages since I've seen Sonny Fortune.

I take it this is the replacement for the defunct Distillery Jazz fest.

Incidentally the Toronto Downtown Jazz festival this year looks a little more inspiring than in previous years--I loko forward to the Joost Buis gig for instance. (Speaking of which, Robert: you planning to go see Ab Baar's Kinda Dukish tomorrow night? I think I'll be there.)

Hey guys, what happened to hockey?

Depends on where you are in Canada. Toronto didn't make the playoffs, but if you are in Edmonton (sorry Wings), it would be all about hockey. In Toronto, we're now thinking about patios and jazz festivals.

• 3 weeks later...

OK - I admit, I am a Barry Harris fanatic. So I'm going tonight to check out the tribute. Although I've seen many of the piano jazz giants from Detroit, I've never seen Hank Jones perform live!

A Tribute to Barry Harris

With Special Guests: Hank Jones, Jimmy Slyde, Charles McPherson, Earl May and Leroy Williams.

The interesting one in the mix is dancer Jimmy Slyde. From a local paper here: "Slyde, upon hearing that Jones was on the bill, said, “I haven't seen him since Cab Calloway's band in the thirties, when we were touring together.”" (!)

There's a late night jam session so I hope a few of these cats will stay up late and tear it up. Jim Hall, John Handy, and Dave Holland are also in town. :excited:

Jones is giving a piano clinic tomorrow, but it's during the day :( Maybe I can squeeze an extra-extra-long lunch?

Full details