Raymond Scott's Secret 7 "The Unexpected"

Durium

I bought myself the Raymond Scott Secret 7 CD released on Basta ( 309106), an album full of surprises.

One of the musicians is Toots Thielemans, who recorded with Scott in the early 1960s. He recognized the other 8 ( ! ) musicians, but this "secret" to be found behind a link doens't work.

Did anyone has ideas about the line-up of this Secret 7 group?

More info in my web log

Surprise is the word indeed:

Harry Edison - trumpet

Sam 'The Man' Taylor - tenor sax

Toots Thielemans - harmonica

Eddie Costa - piano (5 tracks) and vibes (7 tracks)

Wild Bill Davis - organ

Kenny Burrell - guitar

Milt Hinton - bass

Elvin Jones - drums

Dorothy Collins - vocals (2 tracks)

Recorded in January 1960.

F

Edited by Fer Urbina

Surprise is the word indeed:

Harry Edison - trumpet

Sam 'The Man' Taylor - tenor sax

Toots Thielemans - harmonica

Eddie Costa - piano (5 tracks) and vibes (7 tracks)

Wild Bill Davis - organ

Kenny Burrell - guitar

Milt Hinton - bass

Elvin Jones - drums

Dorothy Collins - vocals (2 tracks)

Recorded in January 1960.

F

Thanks !!

Tried (and failed) to stir up some interest in this one a while back: http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...l=raymond+scott

Haven't listened to the album lately, but I guess that this is too surreal. Someone who knew Scott called him "the leader that everybody hated" for his exacting arrangements (not caring for confortable keys, etc). Creative or imaginative as this music may be, it also seems a bit of a waste for such a line-up.

And there's a fine line between hilarious and irritating in Dorothy Collins' sped-up vocals.

F

Someone who knew Scott called him "the leader that everybody hated" for his exacting arrangements (not caring for confortable keys, etc). Creative or imaginative as this music may be, it also seems a bit of a waste for such a line-up.

I guess you're right Fer .... some hate it and some love it.

Keepswinging

Someone who knew Scott called him "the leader that everybody hated" for his exacting arrangements (not caring for confortable keys, etc). Creative or imaginative as this music may be, it also seems a bit of a waste for such a line-up.

Just in case, I meant hated "by musicians" because apparently his music was difficult and as a leader he was a very demanding taskmaster.

Still, a fascinating and overlooked character.

F

Just in case, I meant hated "by musicians" because apparently his music was difficult and as a leader he was a very demanding taskmaster.

Still, a fascinating and overlooked character.

F

I've had his "Reckless Nights and Turkish Twilights" for a couple years now. Scott's recordings are devoid of improvisation of any sort, so in that respect they're closer to a classical recording than to "jazz". Reckless Nights is like the soundtrack to your childhood if you grew up on Bugs Bunny cartoons.

Yeah, it's definitely not life-changing music.

And it's not really "jazz as we know it".

But it is some great jazz players bringing their thing to some very interesting and idiosyncratic music, and on those terms, I think it's a good listen. Definitely not the kind of thing that you can hear just anywhere, if you know what I mean.