Gary Peacock Trio & Jim Hall Trio releases

Head Man

I've just received two CDs from my favourite seller in Japan, Hiroshi Tanno of earlyrecords.com.

'These Rooms' by the Jim Hall Trio with Tom Harrell on Denon is a marvellous session with everyone on top form. The reissue has three additional tracks, including a great version of 'Bimini' which I have always loved since first hearing it on the Michel Petrucciani recording 'Power of Three' with Wayne Shorter & Jim Hall. The other tracks are a mixture of solos, duos, trios & quartets. All in all, a very welcome reissue & for once I can agree with the AMG review that this is 'an overlooked treasure'.

The second is an early recording from 1970 by The Gary Peacock Trio called 'Eastward'. It dates from when he was living in Japan and features Masabumi Kikuchi on piano & Hiroshi Murakami on drums. It's an interesting, if not essential release, with the trio sounding similar to the Paul Bley trios of that time. Not surprising I suppose, since much of the music was written by Gary Peacock who was playing a lot with Paul Bley about that time.

I don't know anything about the Japanese players but they sound more than competent in this setting. I see that Masabumi Kikuchi has a number of other recordings available in Japan; can anyone recommend any of them?

Masabumi Kukuchi is a much respected and very versatile musician - he did an album with the Gil Evans Orchestra as well as an electric post-Bitches-Brew session with Miles's band (titled Wishes/Kochi on East Wind) - so check the personnel if you are not after such things. I only know these but find them to be excellent!

I'm very fond of Kikuchi's playing especially with the group 'Tethered Moon'. This trio comprises Gary Peacock and Paul Motian. It's all very minimal. There are four cds on Winter and Winter/JMT most of which are in print and easily obtainable. At least two other cds came out on Paddle Wheel as well as a Kikuchi trio with James Genus and Victor Jones.

If you like Kikuchi then sample any of the Winter and Winter Tethered Moon titles.

Guest akanalog

not a fan of tethered moon stuff...

but the wishes/kochi album is pretty decent if you like pangea era miles. it almost slips into "slavish imitation" though, so it isn't something you "need" to hear since miles did it better. al foster and davesteve grossliebman are on there and reggie lucas so at least it is authentic.

he also has an album called "susto" which is from '81 but is surprisingly good if you enjoy herbie hancock and headhunters stuff. it isn't as crappy and commercial as you might think. i mean it is you know, funk fusion whatever, but it is interesting. deeper than a lot of stuff american dudes were doing in the same vein at this time.

there is one guy on this board who will insist to you that you can find other japanese-released stuff, but it is hard. a lot of kikuchi albums sound interesting but they are going to be impossible to find.

i have a sadao watanabe album called "pay-sages" from 71ish with kikuchi and gary peacock on it and it is ok but i find watanabe sort of a shrill-sounding player.

that "eastward" album is pretty decent. the compositions are a lot catchier than i expected.

kikuchi certainly does groan his way through the set, though.