A little recommendation to Mosaic

I've noticed that Mosaic recently are reissuing Verve and Columbia stuff mostly. I have no problem with that, actually both of them have a great number of stuff that will take Mosaic 100 years to do the reissue.

For Verve:

Complete Kenny Burrell Sessions (can add Argo sessions)

Complete Cal Tjader Sessions (someone mention it)

Complete Jimmy Giuffre Sessions

Complete Lee Konitz Sessions

Complete Kai Winding Sessions (there are not much if his CD we can find, especially on Verve)

Complete Buddy DeFranco Sessions (without Sonny Clark)

Complete Gerry Mulligan (Philips, Limelight, Mercury)

Complete Ahmad Jamal Sessions (on Argo)

....too many

For Columbia:

I don't know too much about Columbia stuff, except those big names (Miles, Brubeck, Duke, Satch...)

But I know there are a great deal of individual recording by some familiar names, and seesions on Mainstream, Epic are also welcome to get the chance to come out.

Great suggestions... there's been some kind of legal hang-up, I think, with the Jamal Argo material. I'd really like to see that Mulligan set; I've tracked down some of that material (including even the dreaded IF YOU CAN'T BEAT 'EM, JOIN 'EM, which IMO isn't as bad as it's made out to be--although granted, CJB it ain't).

For Verve:

That would make for a good set, with quite a bit of material that's either OOP or difficult to get (some of the Japanese and European CD releases over the years have been out of circulation for a long time). Right from the get-go, the 1959 Argo recording could be supplemented with a number of tracks that were unissued at the time (some of which have popped up in scattered fashion on various CD releases). Many of the Verves have been OOP for long stretches, and the same is true for the Cadet recordings.

A Night At The Vanguard -Argo

Blue Bash! -Verve (w/Jimmy Smith)

Guitar Forms -Verve

The Tender Gender -Cadet

Have Yourself A Soulful Little Christmas -Cadet

A Generation Ago Today (a.k.a. "For Charlie And Benny") -Verve

Ode To 52nd Street -Cadet

Blues / The Common Ground -Verve

Night Song -Verve

Asphalt Canyon Suite -Verve

As far as Columbia is concerned, didn't Jimmy Rushing do a series of albums for them in the mid/late 50s? I know I've got one somewhere that he did with Buck Clayton. Seems like they would make a good Mosaic Select.

Jordan

Yes. . .they did one of those in the Columbia Small Group Swing set. . . all of these have now been on cd except for "Sings the Smith Girls" (why the hell not?)

I've noticed that Mosaic recently are reissuing Verve and Columbia stuff mostly. I have no problem with that, actually both of them have a great number of stuff that will take Mosaic 100 years to do the reissue.

For Verve:

Complete Cal Tjader Sessions (someone mention it)

Complete Jimmy Giuffre Sessions

Complete Lee Konitz Sessions

Complete Kai Winding Sessions (there are not much if his CD we can find, especially on Verve)

Complete Buddy DeFranco Sessions (without Sonny Clark)

Complete Gerry Mulligan (Philips, Limelight, Mercury)

Complete Ahmad Jamal Sessions (on Argo)

....too many

For Columbia:

I don't know too much about Columbia stuff, except those big names (Miles, Brubeck, Duke, Satch...)

But I know there are a great deal of individual recording by some familiar names, and seesions on Mainstream, Epic are also welcome to get the chance to come out.

I think Mosaic has been thinking of the Konitz and Giuffre sessions for a while now. In the past I got some encouraging e-mails from MC. But I do not know what the status of these possible sets is now. And my understanding is that the Jamal set is held up by Jamal himself being very tentative about the idea. I think MC is all for such a set.

In addition to these sets, I would like to see the Decca Studio Sessions released as a Mosaic set. And as for Sony/BMG, I would like to see some Vogue sessions released. I once sent Mosaic a message suggesting a set of early Martial Solal sessions, and MC wrote back to say that he likes the idea. A set that I think is in the works is a collection of RCA sessions involving Al Cohn, Joe Newman, Freddie Green, et al. I'm pretty psyched about that set, and I hope it comes out soon.