78 rpm Pricing Inquiry

...so i went 2 this store w/ about 30,000 78s in the big basement. most organized, some not--- transcription discs, party records, columbia, brunswhick, the whole enchalada--

anyways so i pick out 2 coleman hawkins's on ASCH, a couple fletcher hendersons on columbia, that gerald wilson orch i mentioned, that shelly manne one i mentioned, and the anita o'day on 'signature'

anyways so he's all that'll be like 25 a piece or all for 86 dollars or crazy stuff like that---

---are those 78s really wroth 25 i piece, liek mabye on the entire world market if every jazz fan could bid on that partcular record....

BUT....just sitting like a needle in a haystack in this dingy basement not one costoumer was in besides me....it is only worth like a buck at most, prob. 50 cents. trust me ive bought Earl Hines + his Septet 78s on Apollo for no more than a buck. and ive bought been 78s for a buck. and lennie and dave brubeck. so whats up here

• 2 weeks later...

...so i went 2 this store w/ about 30,000 78s in the big basement. most organized, some not--- transcription discs, party records, columbia, brunswhick, the whole enchalada--

anyways so i pick out 2 coleman hawkins's on ASCH, a couple fletcher hendersons on columbia, that gerald wilson orch i mentioned, that shelly manne one i mentioned, and the anita o'day on 'signature'

anyways so he's all that'll be like 25 a piece or all for 86 dollars or crazy stuff like that---

---are those 78s really wroth 25 i piece, liek mabye on the entire world market if every jazz fan could bid on that partcular record....

BUT....just sitting like a needle in a haystack in this dingy basement not one costoumer was in besides me....it is only worth like a buck at most, prob. 50 cents. trust me ive bought Earl Hines + his Septet 78s on Apollo for no more than a buck. and ive bought been 78s for a buck. and lennie and dave brubeck. so whats up here

Well, if that vender is able to move his '78s at the prices he charges, that's why he charges what he does. It is true that it's unusual to find '78s in really good condition, just as it is to find '45s in good condition. Many people treated those as almost disposible and didn't look after them the way they did their LPs, which were relatively expensive.

Ratched '78s are not worth picking up because they can't be listened to and are worth little if you intend to trade or sell them.

Sometimes I've found those hard-covered albums, with amazingly well-preserved '78s, carefully slid into the heavy, parchment-paper sleeves, but that's unusual. Usually those finds are all of the same genre, or even the same artist. Obviously, the original owner felt they were worth looking after.