Professor Longhair

Just a random thought, more of a wild "hair" really. :w But seriously, I wonder how realistic a set featuring "fess" would be these days?

Many label problems if you look at his recording career as a whole. Maybe a Select would be the go if there are any Atlantic session leftovers.

A Proper New Orleans multi-artist box from quite a few years ago had a whole disc from various session.

Also, there's even more repertoire than with, say, Monk.

Closest thing is probably the four-disc set on Bear Family that has all of Smiley Lewis's stuff. Dang, must get that one day - that cat could sing and some.

The problem with Fess (and I love him dearly) is that he tended to repeat tunes a lot, sometimes retitling them or altering them slightly. As brilliant as he was, his repertoire is not all that varied. A box set might be a little redundant for many people.

That said, I've picked up everything I've ever been able to find! :w

One of the main problems with doing any sort of Professor Mosaic is that his early recordings have been reissued a number of times over the past 30 years, and most of them are still available in some form or another. I would imagine that most of the people who would be interested in a Fess Mosaic already have the recordings that would be in it. I only buy and listen to records - I don't sell them - so I could be wrong.

One of the main problems with doing any sort of Professor Mosaic is that his early recordings have been reissued a number of times over the past 30 years, and most of them are still available in some form or another. I would imagine that most of the people who would be interested in a Fess Mosaic already have the recordings that would be in it. I only buy and listen to records - I don't sell them - so I could be wrong.

OK, you're wrong. I have only a couple of tracks on the Atlantic R&B 1947-1974 box. Every time I see some Fess I think about buying it, then wonder if there's ever going to be a "perfect" compilation to get.

Is there?

MG

If you're out for just a singular album this one has it all and then some with the abounding party going on.

B0000030LH.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

That's a very fine record, and one that was remixed and was actually an improvement over the original album release - not usually the case.

If anyone's looking for one Professor Longhair record, my vote goes to New Orleans Piano (Atlantic) - his classic '49 and '53 cuts. If you have that one, you can explore further if you wish. If that one is enough, at least you've got his best.

Some nice and quite rare Longhair stuff in the MERCURY 1940s SESSIONS box (the one with the outer cover made to look like an old radio). Great box overall, by the way.

Yes - that was the stuff he made under the magnificent name of Professor Longhair and his Shuffling Hungrians!

MG