Billy Larkin

I don't think Larkin is going to get the box set treatment, Mosaic or otherwise, but Pygmy (their first) and Blue Lights (with Clifford Scott) are very fine examples of that group at its jazzy best. Not as much of a fan of the later releases, though they have their moments.

Hey, if the Delegates could get the box set treatment, how about Odell Brown and the Organ-Izers?

Dan,

I was being maybe just a little tongue in cheek, neither Billy nor Odell seem likely candidates for boxes, but stranger things have happened...In either case I'd loveto read da bastards' desriptions of same.

Dana

I know neither of them are going to get box sets - but they do have their pleasures, if you enjoy that style.

Anyway, you don't have to wonder about da bastards:

Odell Brown, Mellow Yellow:

One of the great little organ combo albums that Odell Brown recorded with his crack group The Organ-Izers for Cadet. Lots of very groovy stuff, with Louis Satterfield on bass (before the Pharoahs and before Earth, Wind, & Fire), Curtis Prince on drums, Henry Gibson on congas, and Artee "Duke" Payne on tenor. A great bit of grooviness from the Chicago scene of the late 60's, and a great set of tracks that includes "Mas Que Nada", "Tommy's Thing", "Ain't That A Groove", and a very cool reworking of "Quiet Village", with a cool organ solo instead of piano. (Original blue label 60s pressing. Cover has some light wear.)

Odell Brown Plays Otis Redding:

This funky Chicago organist does a pretty darn nice job of paying tribute to the late Otis Redding in a tasty set of soul jazz groovers with large group arrangements by Gene Barge. Although a number of the tracks are mellower soul numbers, the group has a nice Chicago kick to them, in the manner of other Cadet jazz albums, and they drive Odell's solos along nicely. Includes a funky version of "Hard To Handle", plus "Let Me Come Home", "Any Ole Way", and "Respect". (Orignal pressing. Cover has ringwear.)

And here's a Billy Larkin review:

Massive work from one of the greatest organ combos of the 60s -- headed by Hammond genius Billy Larkin, and featuring the amazing Delegates on rhythm, with a young Mel Brown on drums! Larkin had a groove that was all his own -- a tight, jukebox-oriented approach to soul jazz organ -- one that focused on the rhythms, and let the solos sneak in where they may -- a right, tight, and no-nonsense approach that meant that Larkin's grooves were always in demand on the dancefloor! And in fact, the Delegates groove is still burning strongly today -- very much in demand in a range of scenes from Northern Soul to Deep Funk to Steppers, and beyond! This tasty little 24 track set brings together some of Billy's best work for the Aura and World Pacific label from the 60s -- all tunes with the core grouping of Larkin on Hammond, Hank Swarn on guitar, and Mel Brown on drums -- plus added saxophone from Clifford Scott on a number of tracks! Titles include "Pigmy (parts 1 & 2)", "The Peeper", "Foxy Little Ghoul", "Killer Joe", "The Cooker", "Barefootin", "Unit 7", "On Broadway", "Spooky", "Ode To Billie Joe", "Cuchy Frito Man", "Dirty Water", and "Ain't That A Groove".