DIME Question

Dan Gould

Since there are many people here who are also members of that community, I figured I'd post the question here:

Does anyone know what happens when you are way late to a torrent and you end up the lone guy in a swarm with just one seeder? I ask because while there appears to be one seeder, I downloaded for about three minutes and then the download rate went to zero, and in the meantime, while I am not downloading, the tracker indicates that at my current rate of zero bits per second, it will take a whopping 180 days to complete this download. :wacko::o:crazy::ph34r:

Parenthetically, its an interesting existential question, when a download rate of zero still yields and estimated time of completion. Why doesn't it just say "never"? Of course, at the rate that the estimate keeps climbing, we'll probably reach "never" in about two hours. I'm starting to feel like the guy in that Progressive commercial.

So, anywhoo ... is there any hope for me on this? Is there any point in keeping the connection open?

Are there any Delbert fans who can help a brother out? I don't think my wife would appreciate it if I leave the connection, and PC, on for the next six months. Plus I really wanted to bring this concert with me on vacation in August. :g

You have two options:

1. Be patient..

2. Join the following list:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/bt-dimeadozen-org/

and ask there someone seed the show.If all goes well,more than one person start to seed the show and your transfer will resume.

You are not alone with this Dan.In one case I had to wait nearly 2 weeks before I got one Jefferson Airplane show downloaded...

Edited by Swinger

Thanks Swinger. I'd forgotten about the Yahoo group. Hopefully some folks will jump back in.

Dan,

Also, be patient ... since it's only one seed it may take awhile, and sometimes people only seed during certain times of the day.

And additional people may have the torrent available, but they aren't currently seeding until someone connects.

Once again, be patient, I've had several "old" torrents complete, but they took 3 - 7 days.

Thanks for the advice. At least the tracker has stopped the upward climb in the "remaining" message, now it just gives a big ? :g

My problem is that our electric bill has skyrocketed lately (summer in Florida, what can you expect?) and I have a hard time justifying the PC being on 24/7 for some ridiculous amount of time.

Thanks for the advice. At least the tracker has stopped the upward climb in the "remaining" message, now it just gives a big ? :g

My problem is that our electric bill has skyrocketed lately (summer in Florida, what can you expect?) and I have a hard time justifying the PC being on 24/7 for some ridiculous amount of time.

extension cord to the neighbors will fix that. :D

What could a pc cost in a month if left on 24/7? Three dollars?

What could a pc cost in a month if left on 24/7? Three dollars?

I have no idea but there's been a clear correlation between the months when I have left a Dime download proceed for several days and noticeably higher electric bills.

Well, I guess that post to the Yahoo group helped. Two more seeders joined up and someone else came in as a leecher. So I'm even uploading now - and at a rate faster than my download. :blink::wacko: That probably explains how someone who joined later than I did has nearly twice as much downloaded. :rmad:

But overnight, I went up to nearly 40%, so as long as we stay status quo, this could be done by sometime Sunday morning. :party: