Melvin Davis - Newark organist

meldavisedit.jpg

I just saw this stuff that Pete Fallico published on the Doodlin' lounge last month.

http://www.doodlinlounge.com/artist.html

Never heard of the guy - but he's apparently made two albums. I've looked on All Music Guide, CD Baby, CD Universe and Amazon.com but there's nothing.

To judge by what Pete Fallico says, this man can play!

Anyone know of him? Where to get his albums? Anything?

MG

Melvin was in Belgium last night at the Blue Note Records Festival in Ghent as you can read about here.

On his website you can listen to sound samples from his albums , as well as read his biographical particulars .

Apparently he has been asked by Larry Young III to play the Larry Young Festival in Newark alongside Herbert Morgan .

Edited by Chas

Melvin was in Belgium last night at the Blue Note Records Festival in Ghent as you can read about here.

On his website you can listen to sound samples from his albums , as well as read his biographical particulars .

Apparently he has been asked by Larry Young III to play the Larry Young Festival in Newark alongside Herbert Morgan .

Thanks Chas. It's a pity you can't tell how to buy that album he's got on his website.

The photos on page 2 of Jimmy McGriff watching one of his gigs show that Jimmy seems to be in a bad way.

Trenton%20Jazz%20Fest%20108a.jpg

Sad to see a hero in such bad shape.

MG

Allan did you listen to the samples ? What I heard sounded like slick , over-produced smooooth jazz :(

No; I couldn't get it to work. I've just tried again and heard a few.

Some are smooth grooves; some aren't. The head to "Dis here" comes over well, as does "Tune for Don and Geary". The trouble is, all you get is 20 seconds or thereabouts, so there's no soloing; just the heads. From what I hear, the smooth grooves ain't too bad, though I think there may be a drum machine in one. I'm not opposed to them in principle; Ron Levy uses them to great effect. But, doesn't it all hang on the solos you can't hear?

Anyway, glad I tried again, because I now see that you can buy two albums.

MG

I didn't hear the Parkinson's rumor. That very well could be the case... I do not know for sure.

McDuff had a stroke and he was never the same. I saw him play about a year before he passed and his left hand / left foot were as strong as ever, playing those incredibly groovin', funky McDuff basslines, but his right hand was very erractic. He would start a line, an idea, and then just stop awkwardly.

It's always a drag to see our heroes like that, but I'm glad I had the pleasure of seeing, meeting, and talking to both McDuff and McGriff.