Internet behavior

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. You can't have the 2 options available...because most will -- out of habit -- gravitate to the 'established' forum below. I understand that I can send Ghost and Chris PMs and say 'let's meet in live chat at 10 pm'.....but the whole point of this was that if one wanted to curb the cursing, etc...you'd have but one type of environment.........one fishbowl.

No. You can't have the 2 options available...because most will -- out of habit -- gravitate to the 'established' forum below. I understand that I can send Ghost and Chris PMs and say 'let's meet in live chat at 10 pm'.....but the whole point of this was that if one wanted to curb the cursing, etc...you'd have but one type of environment.........one fishbowl.

What ever...

My theory is that people who act like jerks online are really jerks essentially, as part of their true nature, but they cover it up with a thin veneer of respectability when dealing with people face to face, for their own self-interest if nothing else. When they feel anonymous online, they let their true selves out.

Bingo.

Anonymity and being separated from the individual is certainly an important part of this.

However there is another element that no one has mentioned, and that is the fact that at websites such as these, you have no control over who you will encounter or how often that may occur. That is to say, there are people in this community who, based on their behavior here, I would never personally interact with (they are not named Chuck or Chris, by the way). We've compared this site to the "neighborhood bar" and the fact is, were these people to enter my neighborhood bar, I would not be present for long.

So, the point is that short of using "ignore" options, one can rub up against intensely objectionable people in cyberspace, and that can easily lead to the kind of unpleasant interactions Joel has described.

However there is another element that no one has mentioned, and that is the fact that at websites such as these, you have no control over who you will encounter or how often that may occur. That is to say, there are people in this community who, based on their behavior here, I would never personally interact with (they are not named Chuck or Chris, by the way). We've compared this site to the "neighborhood bar" and the fact is, were these people to enter my neighborhood bar, I would not be present for long.

Do you run home and start sending them violently hostile email too?

However there is another element that no one has mentioned, and that is the fact that at websites such as these, you have no control over who you will encounter or how often that may occur.

So, the point is that short of using "ignore" options, one can rub up against intensely objectionable people in cyberspace, and that can easily lead to the kind of unpleasant interactions Joel has described.

This first part is very true. I've had a few SOBs decide they cyber-hated me and they attached themselves to me like barnicles. I made the mistake of answering them, though, which of course made their dumbass day.

I used an 'ignore' button on one particularly venomous dickwad after I cleaned his clock in a PM and he was so ripping he posted it like the 9-year-old he is. The site is kind of lame anyway, so it's sort of moot. (No, I won't say which one but it's not My Damn Forum).

The thing that fascinates me is here is human behavior and what can be learned from these 'loose lips' situations. I found out I can be one mean SOB myself if pushed far enough. I've also baited people at times if I thought they were bullies because I truly despise bullies. It's a waste of time, though, as you will never win and will get nothing but grief and hurt feelings. The real question is why even engage these people? Who gives a fuck? They're pixels, not real people you likely will ever deal with. It takes a bigger person to back away from a fight than join one, if a gun is not pointed at one's head or the head(s) of loved ones.

If and when you respond angrily and rip someone to shreds anyway perhaps the question ought to be why is all that residual anger floating around your conciousness?

Edited by fasstrack

Three messages that someone sent me for the holidays:

YOU MOTHERFUCKING PIECE OF SHIT.

WHAT A MOTHERFUCKING ASS-WHIPE.

YOU THINK I GIVE A SHIT WHAT YOU

THINK, YOU MOTHERFUCKING COCKSUCKING

PIECE OF CONTEMPTIBLE SHIT????

You know who you are, don't act so holy.

He got even more angry when I suggested that he attend anger management classes. Moron can't even spell wipe. :lol:

Edited by 7/4

Screw holy. The worst sin: his grammar and spelling suck the big one. Where's Miss Grundy when we need her? :lol::party::crazy:

Screw holy. The worst sin: his grammar and spelling suck the big one. Where's Miss Grundy when we need her? :lol::party::crazy:

Sounds like a real nut case eh?

I've been on the internet 13 years, and this one takes the trophy.

Sounds like a real nut case eh?

I've been on the internet 13 years, and this one takes the trophy.

I've seen much worse. He sounds like a moron, actually. It's the ones with half a brain, e.g. enough gray matter to get under your skin who are dangerous.

They run wild apparently. :rfr

If my spelling sucks, at least I'm not insulting anybody.

Where's Miss Grundy when we need her?

grundy.jpg

It's Olive Oyl's mom!

Why did they all have needle noses in Archie comics?

Also, did anyone see Mad Magazine's parody of many years ago, "Starchie"? His gal pals, 'Biddy' and 'Salonica', had acne; 'Wedgie' shook down the weak at the cafeteria for lunch money; Starchie's dad was a drunken gypsy in a t-shirt who screamed 'who makes noise in mine teenage house?'

Where's Miss Grundy when we need her?

grundy.jpg

It's Olive Oyl's mom!

Why did they all have needle noses in Archie comics?

Also, did anyone see Mad Magazine's parody of many years ago, "Starchie"? His gal pals, 'Biddy' and 'Salonica', had acne; 'Wedgie' shook down the weak at the cafeteria for lunch money; Starchie's dad was a drunken gypsy in a t-shirt who screamed 'who makes noise in mine teenage house?'

Yeah, that was great! From the early, golden days of Mad. :tup

Good of you guys who cyberhate each other here to seemingly forego a food fight. (One guy did complain about another to me privately. I politely begged off involvement, telling him I had to go get my ass hair waxed or something). When I muse like this on another forum usually 5 posts or so in the finger pointing starts. One or two (always the same, naturally) start in on me, saying I'm the pot calling the kettle black. Then the lurkers with a hardon for a fight start rubbing the salt and the fun begins. Cruisin' for a bruisin'.

It really cracked me up on the infamous Crouch thread at that 'other forum' how after Stanley split everyone who wanted a piece of him started in on each other. it's still going on, I think. One guy from here even took me to task for not remembering what I accidently deleted to repost it so he could get his jollies. Another guy was goading me to beat up on Stanley after I went too far and apologized. MF wanted to witness a brawl so bad and I let him down, poor baby. I said 'I guess you're gonna hold my coat, huh?"

People wasting that much time on the web need to get a life.

Hey, I'm people :excited::crazy:

It's cool when we're taking care of business. If not----re-evaluation and remediation beckon.