Shorter/Morgan Vee Jay dates

bertrand

Yes, it's time I finally put my Lee Morgan/Wayne Shorter Mosaic into my iTunes folder. In particular, this will allow me to have an almost complete 'Wayne Shorter' compositions playlist - I'll only be missing the two tracks he co-wrote on the Laswell album (see other thread - I might have to buy this one), a new piece called 'Ballroom In The Sky' which will be on the Santana/Shorter DVD coming out soon (although I think it's the same as the piece he's been tacking onto 'Footprints') and the bonus track from the Japanese Sound Barrier CD (grrr...). 19 of the tracks in the Mosaic set are his, including two he has yet to record himself.

I'm pretty sure the track listings below are correct. If anyone who has the vinyl can confirm, I would appreciate it. I plan to toss the alternates at the end where they belong.

Some tidbits which I may or may not have already mentioned on the board:

1) On the Mosaic, the songs 'Blues A La Carte' and 'Harry's Last Stand' are flipped. My listing below refers to the correct song titles.

2) "Off Spring' is by Clifford Jordan, not Milt Jackson. Thanks to a tip from our friend Vincent, I confirmed this with the copyrights (and later with a discography Clifford did himself which his widow sent to me).

3) There was confusion in earlier issues, but 'Fat Lady' is NOT by Wayne Shorter. I got this information from Wayne himself.

Thanks,

Bertrand.

The Young Lions

Seeds Of Sin - Scourin' - Fat Lady - Peaches And Cream - That's Right

Here's Lee Morgan

Terrible T - Mogie - I'm A Fool To Want You - Running Brook - Off Spring - Bess

Expoobident

Expoobident - Easy Living - Triple Track - Fire - Just In Time - The Hearing - Lost And Found

Introducing Wayne Shorter

Blues A La Carte - Harry's Last Stand - Down In The Depths - Pug Nose - Black Diamond - Mack The Knife

Second Genesis

The Ruby And The Pearl - Pay As You Go - Second Genesis - Mr. Chairman - Tenderfoot - The Albatross - Getting To Know You - I Didn't Know What Time It Was

Wayning Moments

Black Orpheus - Devil's Island - Moon of Manakoora - Dead End - Wayning Moments - Powder Keg - All Or Nothing At All - Callaway Went That-A-Way

Edited by bertrand

Thanks for checking, Brownie.

Yes, I had an opportunity recently to pass along a bunch of questions to Wayne about his compositions for a project I am working on (more on this later - it should be interesting if it comes to fruition).

He was categorical that 'Fat Lady' was not his, but he did not state who did compose it. There's no reason to think it is not Timmons.

Bertrand.

This link gets it wrong too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004TFF...v=glance&n=5174

The Young Lions - 1960

This CD, recorded in 1960, is a group-effort by a one-off band made up of Lee Morgan (trumpet), Frank Strozier (alto), Wayne Shorter (tenor), Bobby Timmons (piano), Bob Cranshaw (bass) and Louis Hayes and Albert "Tootie" Heath alternatively on drums. The group is young and energetic, and they play with fire and imagination. Four tunes are composed by Wayne Shorter, one by Lee Morgan. Three alternate takes beef up the CD playing time. All involved went on to impressive careers and multiple recording credits, with the exception of altoist Frank Strozier, who oddly enough has fallen by the wayside. Oddly enough, because he is more than on a par with the others in this company, but his promising start never materialised into a great career. A worthy reissue of a great album by a great band. Any fan of early 1960's hardbop in the traditional Blue Note-style will enjoy this CD.

---

This is the record I had as a kid. I loved it. I guess the liner notes imply that "Fat Lady" is by Shorter.

I don't have the record anymore, to check.

---

Wow!

http://charly.uklive.eonic.co.uk/Special+O...484?startPos=10

only 5 Euros!

---

This page agrees with me :-)

http://www014.upp.so-net.ne.jp/lee/lee/leedisco.txt

SESSION 067 1960-04-25 The Young Lions

Lee Morgan (tp), Frank Strozier (as), Wayne Shorter (ts), Bobby Timmons (p), Bob

Cranshaw (b), Louis Hayes (ds-[1-4]), Al Heath (ds-[5-8]), Bell Sound Studio B,

NYC, April 25, 1960

[ 1] Seeds Of Sin (Shorter) - Alt.Take 3 (1) CD-only, (2)

[ 2] Seeds Of Sin (Shorter) (1)(2)

[ 3] Scourn (Shorter) - Alt.Take 3 (1) CD-only, (2)

[ 4] Scourn (Shorter) (1)(2)

[ 5] Fat Lady (Timmons) - Alt.Take 4 (1) CD-only, (2)

[ 6] Fat Lady (Timmons) (1)(2)

[ 7] Peaches And Cream (Shorter) (1)(2)

[ 8] That's Right (Morgan) (1)(2)

(1) [The Young Lions] (Vee-Jay VJLP3013, CD: NVJ2-908)

(2) [The Complete Vee Jay Lee Morgan - Wayne Shorter Sessions] (Mosaic MD6-202)

Edited by flat5