Rocky & Bullwinkle Season 1

First season is more subdued in the voices. Not as animated (no pun) as later or as quick with the jokes though they are there. I've only watched the first disc so far. I believe there are only two stories in the first season: Jet Fuel Formula & one about boxtops. I don't think Dudley Do-Right is in this season even though his face is on the spine. Have seen some episodes I've never seen because on TV they never showed them in order meaning they'd skip a show and it was impossible to tape them. Along with The Simpsons & Family Guy, these are my favorite shows, all animated. What that says about me I don't know. Though if you took away the alcohol, Homer & Peter Griffin from Family Guy are just like Bullwinkle, stupid and funny.

Picked mine up yesterday, of course! As a proud supporter of the Wassamatta U. alumni society, how could I not? Anyway, the whole Rocket Fuel story line will be new to me, unless I saw it way back when, and I'm looking forward to it. I assume the Boxtop Bandit story line is the same one that was on the six volume VHS release a few years ago that I have somewhere, but it's a good one.

Dave sure nails it as to the voices; the announcer is the most noticable to me. Everything seems to be subdued compared to what I'm used to on the first disc. It's sort of like watching the Tracy Ullman Simpson spots; everything isn't quite right yet, but the spark is already there. I sure hope they don't take forever to get the rest of these out; I can't wait! Does anyone know how many seasons there are to look forward to?

Read the book inside. It said they wanted to keep them all consistent. Why I don't know, but yes it's superimposed. The first two years it was The Rocky Show. They also used the second season opening and closing since it was Jay Ward's favorite. If you notice the ending, the credit (usually) reads 1960 Jay Ward. The first season was in 1959 (which is shown at the beginning of Peabody & Sherman).

Which also leads to the first jazz reference in the show. Peabody & Sherman & The James Gang. After thrwarting them during a robbery attempt, one of the James brothers blows a trumpet and they ride out of town. Sherman asks what his name is and Peabody says:

"That's Harry"

Sherman: "I've never heard of him."

Peabody: "You mean you've never heard of Harry James?" :wacko: