Mala Waldron

slide_advantage_redoux

I bought her most recent CD from Dusty Groove a while back. Good enough stuff. Believe it or not, there's a few songs on that album that sound to me like she's been checking out Monday Michiru, especially one called "Maybe It's Not So".

Production is pretty bareboned at times, and she writes the type of songs that could benefit from some more elaborate/focused settings at times, so that detracts a little from my overall enjoyment of the record (but not from the songs). The album has a "demo" quality to it at times, and for "pop" type material (even "jazzy pop", which is what most of this stuff is), I gotta use my imagination to hear what it would sound like more fully fleshed out ("production" for pop being what arrangements are to big bands, imo). But I do, and it sounds good!

All in all, I'd recommend her album as a "non-essential but pleasant" purchase to those interested in "jazzy Neo-Soul" type material. And I really hope that her career advances to the point where she can get the budget to do her material with the benefit of the production that it deserves. She's a talent all right!

I bought her most recent CD from Dusty Groove a while back. Good enough stuff. Believe it or not, there's a few songs on that album that sound to me like she's been checking out Monday Michiru, especially one called "Maybe It's Not So".

Well, Mal spent a lot of time himself in Japan. Maybe she did too.