early bud powell recordings

bichos

hello all,

in the liner notes of the first volume of the ten volume set "earl bud powell" on "mythic sound" cd-ms 6001-2 (long out of print), francis paudras mentioned recordings by bud powell made between 1934 and 1939 (!) recorded by his father on a self-made recording machine worked with reels of magnetic steel wire. francis paudras writes: "i had the great privileg of hearing the first of bud´s recodings. he played bach, chopin, debussy, but also in a different register, ""tea for two"", ""how high the moon"", ""honeysuckle rose""..." ..."the privileg of hearing these recordings made between 1934 and 1939 permits me to smile......"

("how high the moon" was, i think, from the beginning of the 40´s, so this recordings are maybe dated a little bit later.)

i found nothing in the bud powell discography by claude schlouch or on the web. does anybody knows about this??? are they in circulation to collectors? who can bring a little light on this story? or is this another "buddy bolden cylinder" story?

mr. claude schlouch (also on this forum) maybe??

thanks in advance

keep boppin´

marcel

Claude or Peter Pullman would probably be the best source to talk to re: this Paudras story. If such recordings ever existed, I'm sure they're lost. Powell's daughter, Celia, is still alive (teaching somewhere in the South, I think) and might know what happened to her grandfather's possessions after he died. Re: Paudras, the proverbial grain of salt is always recommended.

ghost of miles,

thanks for metioning peter pullman. maybe we have to wait for his long awaited bud powell biography. when will it come??

keep boppin´

marcel

All I can say at this point re: its eventual appearance (and there are others here who probably know better than me) is that there's room for cautious optimism!

Hi folks,

Sorry, but Francis Paudras never told me about the tapes recorded by Bud's father when his son was 10 in 1934. He may have heard them when he was in the United States, but I'm sure that he didn't have them in Paris. Maybe Celia could tell us more. She can be contacted via Piadrum Records owned by Miss Jessica Shih.

jessica@piadrum.com

Hi folks,

Sorry, but Francis Paudras never told me about the tapes recorded by Bud's father when his son was 10 in 1934. He may have heard them when he was in the United States, but I'm sure that he didn't have them in Paris. Maybe Celia could tell us more. She can be contacted via Piadrum Records owned by Miss Jessica Shih.

jessica@piadrum.com

thank you, claude, for answering at this thread. (i was hoping, that you can bring some light to this story). maybe i will ask celia via piadrum records.

thanks again.

keep boppin´

marcel