"It Came From Texas" this week on Night Lights

texas.jpg

It’s one of the biggest states in the Union, and throughout the 20th century it was a wellspring of musical vitality, producing artists such as Ornette Coleman, Scott Joplin, Hot Lips Page, and Jimmy Giuffre. We’ll hear all of those musicians and more, including Amos Milburn, Charles Brown, Jack Teagarden, and John Carter, as we take a Lone Star State journey this week on Night Lights with “It Came From Texas,” airing Saturday, August 19 at 11 p.m. EST on WFIU.

scott-joplin.gif

The program will also air at 9 p.m. Central Time on WNIN-Evansville and at 10 p.m. EST Sunday evening on Michigan's Blue Lake Public Radio. The program will be posted Monday afternoon in the Night Lights archives.

coleman_ornette.jpg

(Note: Those wishing to learn more about jazz and blues from Texas might want to read Dave Oliphant’s Texan Jazz. A future Night Lights program will be devoted solely to the vast topic of Texan tenor saxophonists.)

We are also continuing a drive for support of the Night Lights archives, with a goal of raising $500 by the end of Labor Day Monday. This support will be used to help maintain the archives, subsidize production of future programs, and widen distribution for the show. We're off to a good start--if we continue to get just one or two $15, $25, or $40 contributions a day, we should make it. Thanks so much to all who've contributed so far!

Next week: "Ain't He Funky Now: Grant Green in the Early 1970s."

Up for broadcast on WFIU now.

thanks mr. ghost. was right in the middle of lazlake's friday night broadcast leavened. i guess i will temporarily preempt the laz and listen to arnett cobb et al...............

wide-ranging. most entertaining. jimmy g. following kenton? great!

the 10 tenors will be next week?

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Not next week... not sure when it will air, but I like the "ten tenors" concept. "Ten Tenacious Texas Tenors," perhaps? (Try to say that three times fast...)

Budd Johnson

Arnett Cobb

Illinois Jacquet

James Clay

Marchel Ivery

Buddy Tate

Don Wilkerson

David Fathead Newman

King Curtis

Booker Ervin

That a good list? ...and btw, "It Came From Texas" is already archived.

Edited by ghost of miles

Yeah, Jimmy and I were riding together coming back from a Root Doctor gig and those tunes were fun. What was that one? Jimmy?? That we improvised our own rather "blue" lyrics to? ;)

But seriously, GofM has a great radio voice. Very articulate and smart. Very impresssive!! :tup:tup

I'd like to hear (or read) those improvised lyrics!

Glad you guys liked the show, and thanks much for the remarks. Looking forward to doing the "tenacious tenors" followup at some point. And still grateful to Mr. Vega for pushing the program to the folks at Blue Lake. The Michigan LP has always felt like my second home state.

I'd like to hear (or read) those improvised lyrics!

Glad you guys liked the show, and thanks much for the remarks. Looking forward to doing the "tenacious tenors" followup at some point. And still grateful to Mr. Vega for pushing the program to the folks at Blue Lake. The Michigan LP has always felt like my second home state.

while we're in texas: looking forward to a western swing show. i am sure you could mine the archives for some mid 30's and later roberto wills. this old square considers him pretty funky.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

while we're in texas: looking forward to a western swing show. i am sure you could mine the archives for some mid 30's and later roberto wills. this old square considers him pretty funky.

Some of the old original Wills boys are still at it, swinging for the fences. I have had the honor and pleasure to play with a few of them many times over the years in a western swing band based locally.

Leon Rausch is still singing great at near 80 years old. Tenor player Billy Briggs (80+) swings his ass off (using bari reeds on an old Martin Tenor that he bought used 60 odd years ago!). Bobby Boatright (violin), Maurice Anderson is a bitch on pedal steel, playing bebop like nobody's bizness. Great fun, even though I have to wear boots on the gig.

Some of the old original Wills boys are still at it, swinging for the fences. I have had the honor and pleasure to play with a few of them many times over the years in a western swing band based locally.

Leon Rausch is still singing great at near 80 years old. Tenor player Billy Briggs (80+) swings his ass off (using bari reeds on an old Martin Tenor that he bought used 60 odd years ago!). Bobby Boatright (violin), Maurice Anderson is a bitch on pedal steel, playing bebop like nobody's bizness. Great fun, even though I have to wear boots on the gig.

wow! that's exciting. hoping somebody is capturing those priceless moments in sound.

Not next week... not sure when it will air, but I like the "ten tenors" concept. "Ten Tenacious Texas Tenors," perhaps? (Try to say that three times fast...)

Budd Johnson

Arnett Cobb

Illinois Jacquet

James Clay

Marchel Ivery

Buddy Tate

Don Wilkerson

David Fathead Newman

King Curtis

Booker Ervin

That a good list? Already covered Coleman in this week's show...and btw, "It Came From Texas" is already archived.

Gom, can you make it "a big 12" and add Dewey Redman and Herschel Evans, of even add John Hardee to make it a round 13? :)

• 6 years later...