iPod earphone alternatives

tonym

• 2 weeks later...

These get great reviews for the money over at www.headfi.org

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BKE8Q...5764710?ie=UTF8

i would recommend heading over there and reading up on reviews. ive never tried IEMs myself.

I agree, HeadFi is a great source of information. I have the Shure E3c as my IEM, and like it. That said, I only use it when I want near complete isolation from the sound around me as I find them less comfortable than other headphones.

For buds instead of IEMs, Sennheiser makes a reasonably priced and good quality bud. If you like clip phones, the Koss KSC75s are inexpensive and have a strong following on HeadFi.

As far as bass is concerned, the E3C's are REALLY weak. I returned them to the store and ordered some Ultimate Ears superfi.5Pro headphones. A bit more expensive, but the sound is far more balanced and detailed than what I experienced in the E3C.

After much indecision i've gone with the Ety ER6i; basically because of what you stated here and many other favourable comparisons against the Shures.

They were shipped from the US for a total of £56. :)

Well I received those Etys this morning and I'm very impressed. the plug shapes are taking some getting used to as I feel they are about to get 'lost' inside my ear, only to be discovered at autopsy time!

i'll spend some time with them and get to feel what's best. Sound sure is good though.

• 1 month later...

When he last visited us, my father was really impressed with the B&O turntable, receiver and speakers we received as an inheritance from Helen's aunt. When he learned that I am using my iPod a lot here in Houston and back and forth to and at work in Austin, he sent me a pair of B&O "A8" headphones.

I have to tell you. . .they sound great with the iPod! I've only had them a few days but I won't part with them. . .

F2005060714140700000.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks MwtGA but I've tried to use my portable horn 78' player on a plane and I was removed and put in custody for being a terorist so my only option left for music on a plane is an iPod with in ear headphones I'm afraid.......Or do you suggest something else (I already have the iPod so that's a done case).

Interestingly, some claim that IEMs are safer for your ears than buds. This is because they are so isolating that you can run them at lower volumes than buds which leak noise from the surroundings. This requires you to turn the volume up on the buds to achieve the same amount of isolation.

I have also read good things about the E500s. As already stated, they are pricey. They may be worth the price if the rest of your portable system is of equal quality.

Edited by Deuterium

• 3 months later...

Well I received those Etys this morning and I'm very impressed. the plug shapes are taking some getting used to as I feel they are about to get 'lost' inside my ear, only to be discovered at autopsy time!

i'll spend some time with them and get to feel what's best. Sound sure is good though.

Looking to upgrade from the standard issue ipod earphones. How do you like these after a few months use? Still favorable?

Looking to upgrade from the standard issue ipod earphones. How do you like these after a few months use? Still favorable?

Yes, although I don't get chance to wear them much now being around the house a lot more ( rather than out at work and such). I replaced the filters about 6 weeks ago. When they go, they go. The sound just 'disappears'!

Luckily you get one spare set included. I also bought, not long after, some iGrados from Todd The Vinyl Junkie over in your neck of the woods. They arrived very quickly and with all first orders you get $10 off. I prefer them to the Etys because I can wear them whilst cooking, clearing out the garage, cleaning my bike etc. and still hear supra-aural noise around me; my son coming into the kitchen etc.

Also, the Etys, and others like them, are extremely microphonic. You hear your own footfall, chewing, swallowing --- everything. Sound good --- but heavy going at times. I would imagine if I was working nights again at the computer or back at college, in the library and such, they'd be great.

head-fi.org was a big help.

Let me know how you get on.

I would imagine if I was working nights again at the computer or back at college, in the library and such, they'd be great.

That's more or less my intended use. Early in the morning for a couple of hours each day while checking email and performing the more mundane tasks at hand before my day really gets started. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

These get great reviews for the money over at www.headfi.org

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BKE8Q...5764710?ie=UTF8

i would recommend heading over there and reading up on reviews. ive never tried IEMs myself.

I am really thinking about these...might have good studio applications as well.

Plus I'd wear them while mowing the lawn. :)

I just got a pair of the Etymotic ER6, with a set of adapters which allow them to be used with my earmolds from the same company. Not great bass response, but they will serve just fine for the use I intend: plane rides!

I like the ER6's a lot I used them with my iPod, running them through a HeadRoom headphone amp.

Of course, I'm speaking in the past tense, because some low-life son of a bitch recently stole the whole rig, from a desk drawer in my office at work! Piece of shit!

Thumbs up on the ER6's, though! :tup

I just got a pair of the Etymotic ER6, with a set of adapters which allow them to be used with my earmolds from the same company. Not great bass response, but they will serve just fine for the use I intend: plane rides!

My wife just got my the iem's for my birthday...which is Valentine's Day..if you were wondering Joe. :wub:

:D

For casual listening (small anounts of time) I use the iPod earbuds - they're good enough just to hear the music.

But for listening I use these:

Bose noise cancelling headphones

Way cool.

I couldn't afford them, luckily I got them as a gift.

For a gift they are good for the money, but otherwise you can do WAAAAAY better as far as sound quality and isolation goes. They are good if you actually cant stand IEMs, but for half the price you can get much much better sound from IEMs.

I use Shure E4 and they sound fantastic. Better bass response than the Etymonics, from what I hear from reviews. They retail for 300, but you can find them pretty easily in the 180 range. Occasionally I use a Headroom Bithead amp with them, but mostly i just plug them straight into the ipod. The isolation makes plane rides 20 times better.

Edited by md655321