Night Lights #100: "I Want to Live!"

ghost of miles

B00000I5EO.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This week on Night Lights it's "I Want to Live!" Based on the true story of accused murderess Barbara Graham, this 1958 movie employed a jazz soundtrack written by Johnny Mandel and performed by such jazz stalwarts as Gerry Mulligan, Bud Shank and Art Farmer (who appeared in the movie's opening scenes), along with Frank Rosolino, Jack Sheldon, and Shelly Manne. Susan Hayward (who met a grisly demise in many of her films from the 1940s and 1950s) played Graham, a woman with a troubled past and a real-life jazz and Gerry Mulligan fan who was eventually executed in 1955, despite her protestations of innocence. (Debate continues today over whether or not she actually committed the murder for which she was convicted.) Hayward won an Academy Award for her performance in the movie, which was directed by Hoosier native Robert Wise (The Day the Earth Stood Still, West Side Story, The Haunting, The Sound of Music) We'll hear music from both versions of the soundtrack that were released, as well as more background on the story behind Barbara Graham and the making of the movie.

I_Want_To_Live_DVD.jpg

"I Want to Live!" airs Saturday, September 2 at 11:05 p.m. EST on WFIU and at 10 p.m. Central Time on WNIN-Evansville. It also airs Sunday evening at 10 p.m. EST on Blue Lake Public Radio in Michigan. The program will be posted Tuesday afternoon in the Night Lights archives.

iwant.jpg

Next week: "Norman Granz's Jazz Scene."

Edited by ghost of miles

Thanks much, Mr. A. Wanted to offer special thanks as well to David Frasier, a great reference librarian who works at IU, and author of several encyclopedic "tomes" (sorry, best word for what they are--apologies to memories of Hardbop) on sordid homicide/suicide-related topics (in John Waters' 2004 movie A DIRTY SHAME, a character is seen holding aloft a copy of David's book, SUICIDE IN THE ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRY--also part of the trailer, no less... talk about great free/targeted advertising!). Special thanks also to Stereojack.

Edited by ghost of miles

• 11 months later...

We will be re-airing this program tonight at 9 p.m. Central Time on WNIN and at 11 p.m. EST on WFIU. It will also air Sunday evening at 10 EST on Michigan's Blue Lake Public Radio. Since it's a repeat, it's already archived for online listening. You can also watch the movie's trailer as well as a clip from the film itself (featuring Susan Hayward as a partying Barbara Graham).

Next week: "Jazz and Jack Kerouac."