Universal Mosaics worth less second hand?

shaft

I hope the title and description puts the question right :)

"Do you consider the Universal Mosaics ( the ones without individual numbering) to be worth less second hand?" I guess the "proof is in the pudding" meaning that would you actually be eager to bid high or pay higher) for a numbered release of the same set?

The reason I ask this is because I recently aquired an Universal release of The Jazztet box from amazon Germany and even though it "is" a mosaic it does not feel a 100% like a "real" mosaic. The music and the booklet are the same I guess....bur maybe I'm being silly :wacko:

/Shaft

I know what you mean, I felt like this with my first Universal Mosaic (Farlow), too, but in the meantime I got others (Eldridge, Basie, Mulligan, Jazztet) and I really couldn't care less.

But then I'm not one of the anal fetishist collectors (a collector I am, though, I confess...)

3484.jpg

Ron S, I think its worth around 5% Ceteris Paribus.

Collectors love those limited and numbered editions. It makes us feel good. :D

/Shaft

Well, the Universal Mosaics are part of the same limited edition, they just aren't individually numbered. Tell you what: you send them to me, I'll scrawl an illegible number inside the booklet, and PRESTO, the value will be increased by 5%! And (to stay in a Latin vein), I'll even do it gratis. :rolleyes:

I own the Farlow and Basie Complete Clef/Verve Universal sets, and they are every bit like the Mosaics I receive direct from Mosaic (except for the numbering of course). IMHO, they look and feel just like the direct Mosaics, and I have no regrets.

I also had an extra copy of the Basie Clef/Verve Mosaic set that I had picked up cheap from Amazon UK when they had them on sale awhile ago. I sold that copy on ebay, clearly indicating that it was the retail Universal version, for a very nice price. I doubt I would have gotten more for it if it had been a numbered copy from Mosaic. Sure, to some collectors, it would matter. But imo, to most people, it is about the music and the look and feel of a Mosaic set, not the hand numbering.