Bill Lee at Lenox Lounge

kh1958

I'm expecting to be in New York most of next week and have noted that Bill Lee is appearing at the Lenox Lounge next Friday and Saturday. I'm assuming (perhaps wrongly) that this is Bill Lee the bassist and composer that I saw leading a quintet at the Caravan of Dreams in the early 1990s. He was most impressive and I would be excited to see him again.

Does anyone know anything about this engagement?

In addition, how is the Lenox Lounge? I've never been there. It's further uptown than I've ever been on my late-night jazz travels in Manhattan. Is the neighborhood safe? Is it easy to catch a cab late at night?

Thanks.

In addition, how is the Lenox Lounge? I've never been there. It's further uptown than I've ever been on my late-night jazz travels in Manhattan. Is the neighborhood safe? Is it easy to catch a cab late at night?

Thanks.

Lenox Lounge is in Harlem, as you well know. Club's client list is mostly local black people in their 50s-60s, at least that's how it was when I used to go there. It is not really dangerous; if you leave your 10-gallon hat and "Texans for Bush" t-shirt in your hotel room you should be fine. Subway stop is right near, but Lenox Avenue is famous for breakdowns... :P

I'm expecting to be in New York most of next week and have noted that Bill Lee is appearing at the Lenox Lounge next Friday and Saturday. I'm assuming (perhaps wrongly) that this is Bill Lee the bassist and composer that I saw leading a quintet at the Caravan of Dreams in the early 1990s. He was most impressive and I would be excited to see him again.

Thanks.

I've been a couple of times. There is a very cool Deco bar when you walk in and a pair of doors in the back which lead to the room where they have the live music. The soul food is pretty good--by bar standards any way. It's a very small room and there's no stage--the musicians just set up in the corner of the room.

If you're taking a cap uptown remember that when you get out of the club at 1 AM or whenever there will be NO cabs on the street in Harlem at that time of night-you'll have to hail a gypsy cab and pay $20 to get back to midtown. 125th and Lenox is a MAJOR intersection and it's totally "safe" by any resonable person's standards.

Edited by Allan Songer

Thanks.

I've been a couple of times. There is a very cool Deco bar when you walk in and a pair of doors in the back which lead to the room where they have the live music. The soul food is pretty good--by bar standards any way. It's a very small room and there's no stage--the musicians just set up in the corner of the room.

If you're taking a cap uptown remember that when you get out of the club at 1 AM or whenever there will be NO cabs on the street in Harlem at that time of night-you'll have to hail a gypsy cab and pay $20 to get back to midtown. 125th and Lenox is a MAJOR intersection and it's totally "safe" by any resonable person's standards.

Thanks for the information.

Thanks.

Lenox Lounge is in Harlem, as you well know. Club's client list is mostly local black people in their 50s-60s, at least that's how it was when I used to go there. It is not really dangerous; if you leave your 10-gallon hat and "Texans for Bush" t-shirt in your hotel room you should be fine. Subway stop is right near, but Lenox Avenue is famous for breakdowns... :P

I do not own a cowboy hat or cowboy boots and I voted for Ann Richards, Al Gore, and John Kerry rather than Bush, so I should be safe.

I've worked there a few times, with Cecil Payne and Frank Wess. Small jazz room in back of the bar. If you're interested in hearing what Bill Lee is up to, I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to go up there to catch him.

Piano sucks, but that's the only serious downside. Let us know how it was.

I might have been at the Cecil Payne gig. Now that I think of it. I've been three times--Cecil, Houston Person and Jimmy McGriff . . .

Piano sucks, but that's the only serious downside.

What is the gigging ratio of piano sucks and good instrument properly maintained?.

That all depends where you work. The more high-profile clubs will have better instruments, but not necessarily real good ones. The Vanguard happens to have an excellent Steinway B. There really are too many variables to give a simple answer. A piano can be well maintained and still suck!

Edited by Michael Weiss

I've worked there a few times, with Cecil Payne and Frank Wess. Small jazz room in back of the bar. If you're interested in hearing what Bill Lee is up to, I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to go up there to catch him.

Piano sucks, but that's the only serious downside. Let us know how it was.

I might have been at the Cecil Payne gig. Now that I think of it. I've been three times--Cecil, Houston Person and Jimmy McGriff . . .

i was there for a cecil payne gig years ago with walter booker and richard wyands. club is pretty funky and the ladies room was "memorable"! LOL!