Shorty Rodgers- GOSPEL MISSION

UNKNOWN PERSONEL?!??!?

Hmmmph

Well listen when i played i t in the store i did instanly notice all the songs were pretty much of the same variety- they all are uptempo gosepel songs, but i knew it was special so i got it and at home i played it again and i am happy w/ the purchace. it is interesting to hear gospel, but with sax solos and trumpet etc. one of the songs on side 1 is even like a jazz-rock gospel tune w/ some harmonica and elec. guitar-- that one is very interesting

There was a short-lived attempt by a couple record companies to make gospel music a commercial force around 1963. Columbia Records (if I remember correctly) issued 3 albums tied around a mid-town New York night club that featured the music - think it was called "Sweet Chariot" - and I always thought the Rogers album was an attempt to cash on this craze that never happened. Always had mixed feelings about all this.... Is there a more exhilarating music? Why not try to get it a wider audience? (And Clara Ward was a regular on Ed Sullivan - sort of made the pop singers look pathetic.) But, at the same time, there was something unseemly about the whole enterprise. But it didn't matter, rock would take over the record business in a few months.