Scrabble

I've qualifed for a couple of big invitational Scrabble tournaments recently. This weekend, August 16-18 is Scrabble All-Stars 2003. It will be shown as a one hour program on ESPN later this fall. October 21-24 is the World Scrabble Championships in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Both will be covered at www.scrabbleassociation.com .

Any other Scrabble ® players out there?

Randy Hersom

I've always enjoyed Scrabble ®, as well as other words games, like Boggle ®. I grew up playing Scrabble on the old flat (folding) board. When I started dating my wife, she and I and her mom used to play on their deluxe board (rotating; and with indentations for the pieces so they wouldn't slide around if somebody bumped the board :wacko: ).

In tournaments, is there any way to even out the luck of the draw (of letters)? Just curious. Anyway, best of luck!

Jim R - on the tournament scene, the way to even out the luck of the draw is to play enough games. It's not 100% effective, but in longer tournaments skill and word knowledge will rise to the top a large majority of the time.

There is a variant called duplicate scrabble, popular in French language play, where everybody tries to find the highest score with the same letters. The highest scoring play gets made and letters are drawn to fill out the rack and shown to all. It's a very different game, and less strategic than one on one Scrabble. The luck is evened out, but it's not nearly as popular in the US.

Boggle is a very common side event after hours at Scrabble tournaments. I'm good because I know a lot of words, but I have seen some jaw droppingly great Bogglers that I'm very lucky to steal an occasional round against.

Thanks to all for the best wishes.

Randy Hersom