Grantstand

Morganized

Question

Has anyone done a comparison of the different pressings of Grantstand? Is the new RVG really an improvement? I have recently listened to the Japanese pressing and it sounds very good. Of course, I was never really troubled by the original CD. Thought the original sound was pretty good.

Anyway, what do you think?

Thanks

I only have the original issue and the recently-arrived RVG edition. I just compared the two and although there is some improvement on the remaster, I don't feel it necessary for anyone to give up their old version. I'm a little annoyed with BN for feeling it necessary to remaster this particular title when others are more deserving.

Keep your $$$ folks and keep your original version.

Blakey's "Indestructible" has been improved and might be worth the upgrade. I didn't bother to order any of the other new RVGs.

I finally ordered the Coltrane, and the Dexter, and the Rollins. . . and I hope to pick this Green up at Tower this weekend.

I LOVE this session, because of Lateef's presence; he really makes it special for me. I'll grab this remastering just because I really like this one, I don't have the TOCJ and it gives me an excuse to give this special attention again!

Thanks,

I appreciate the input. I agree with Conn. about some of these remasters. Some of the RVG's are a real improvement but I was satisfied with the sound on many of the ones just released. I do plan to pick up Indestructable and Vol. 1 because I do not already have those sessions. I will wait to hear about the quality of the remaining RVGs and see if I should pick them up because of improved sound or additional tracks. Otherwise, I think Blue Note needs to release some sessions that we have not seen in a long time. Maybe True Blue?????????

Thanks again.

I like the new RVG of Grantstand, I picked it up today and listened to it several times. It's clearly better on my system. I love the sound of Green's guitar and when Teefsky does the slurring tones on the tenor it's clearer.

Maybe it's just the way that RVGs interact with my system, but I hear marked improvement/differences over the earlier versions, and prefer the RVGs. . . .

I like the new RVG of Grantstand, I picked it up today and listened to it several times. It's clearly better on my system. I love the sound of Green's guitar and when Teefsky does the slurring tones on the tenor it's clearer.

Maybe it's just the way that RVGs interact with my system, but I hear marked improvement/differences over the earlier versions, and prefer the RVGs. . . .

I'm with you Lon.... Plus, THIS Grantstand is a BIG improvement to my ears over the earlier domestic CD. I can finally hear some clarity, especially in the bass. :tup:party: