Sonny Criss on Muse

monkboughtlunch

Hi,

"Joy of Sax" and "Warm & Sonny" were mini-LP's from Japan; no US reissue that I had seen. Each is scarce as far as I can tell, although Amazon lists "Warm & Sonny" around $37.

"Out of Nowhere" on Muse reissued in US along w/CrissCraft--you can find this one; also 32Jazz reissue.

"Saturday Morning" on Xanadu reissued on Prevue shows up I don't know if it's still in print although Allmusic guide says in print. Amazon lists as $70; this one does show up. I have only seen one copy apiece of "Joy of Sax" & "Warm & Sonny"; I think each is much rarer than "Saturday Morning"

Happy hunting.

"Warm & Sonny" got to #51 on the R&B album chart and is one of the very few terrific Disco albums by a jazz musician. "Joy of sax" is one of the very many so-so Disco albums by a jazz musician (but there are even more that are worse).

The two on Muse are probably his best in his entire life. And the covers are deadly dull. They were reissued on 32Jazz. They were also issued in Japan by Nippon Crown, of whom I've never heard in any other conection.

"Saturday morning" was on Xanadu and is nearly as good as the Muses. And it has a decent cover, by Don Schlitten.

In 1987, Fresh Sound brought out an LP called "Live in Italy" FSR401, recorded in January 1974 with Georges Arvanitas on piano. That's a very nice album. I think I saw it on CD once when I didn't have any cash on me (GRRRR!!!).

That man could SING!!!!!

MG

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg