Savoy Jazz Japanese Denon CDs

jbs-tom

*** update ***

>>>> all paid cds are on the way .... enjoy the music ! tom

-----

thanks a lot for all your interest and PMs !

i will now check all requests from yesterday and til today (12 AM.) - so now this "offer" is closed, because i have no longer my hand on all these cds and they are for public sale in the store !

enjoy the music!

tom

ps: will send PMs later tonight

yesterday my favorite 2nd hand cd store offered me about 100 different titles of the savoy jazz series.

all are still sealed and japanese denon issues.

(question: are these titles also released as usa issues (and not jap.) ??)

i picked up about 20 titles, but many many are left and still not on sale for all.

if someone is looking for a special title from this series just let me know. (he offers them for prices from 5-7€). i will check the store tomorrow again !

tom

Edited by jbs-tom

The Denon Savoy's were a nice series. Most were straight reissues of the original albums. As they were budget priced it didn't matter to much. I doubt if many, if any,got a domestic cd release at the time. Well worth picking up. Savoy had their own individuality.

(question: are these titles also released as usa issues (and not jap.) ??)

All the Savoy reissues of the past 15 years are Japanese in some sense , since the label is owned by Japanese Columbia , however the label is now a U.S.-based division , so recent CDs are made there . The last few years they seem to have stuck to reissuing the " name " musicians , on CDs shorn of original cover art . Thus to answer your question , a lot of those old Denon-Savoys have not been re-pressed as U.S. editions . Those Denons had good sound , but contained discographical and typographical errors .

Hmmm. . . never saw that Mort Herbert. . . as a cd or lp.

YES, almost all of these jewel case ones made in Japan were also made in the USA as domestic versions in the early to mid-nineties, though all the paper sleeve lp facmilie higher bit versions were Japan only I believe.

I have nearly all of the jewel case ones and many of the lp facimile paper sleeve. . . one of my very favorite reissue series..

Tom, if there is a copy of Mort Herbert's 'Night People', would appreciate if you could grab it for me!

Been looking for that one for a long time.

I'll paypal, mail money, or whatever if you can get it!

sorry for the bad news: just called him to check, but not included

Is there a list anywhere online that would give one an idea of what's available?

i took about 20 more titles today so now have about 35 at home of which i will not hold all of them and sell them someday then.

but here are some artists which are still available at the store (no internet store):

- frank wess

- art pepper

- jimmy scott

- kenny clarke (2 titles)

- george wallington

- chuz alfred

- frank foster

- milt jackson

- curtis fuller (2-3 titles)

- miles davis

- charlie parker (several titles)

- hank jones

- lester young

- charles moffett

- eddie bert

- shelly manne

- coleman hawkins

- wilbur haden

- joe wilder

- duke jordan

- ronnie ball

- john mehegan

- paul bley

- lenny triztano

and about 20 more.

thats all i can do at the moment

tom

ps: thanks a lot for the fine infos about this series !!

Edited by jbs-tom

Those Denons had good sound , but contained discographical and typographical errors .

Like Ronnel Bright.

......and, speaking of Ronnell....

jbs-tom

if someone is looking for a special title from this series just let me know. (he offers them for prices from 5-7€). i will check the store tomorrow again !

If he has a spare copy of Ronnell Bright's 'Bright's Spot,' I'd sure be interested.

Tom, if there is a copy of Mort Herbert's 'Night People', would appreciate if you could grab it for me!

Been looking for that one for a long time.

I'll paypal, mail money, or whatever if you can get it!

sorry for the bad news: just called him to check, but not included

Many thanks for trying!

:(:(:(

Tom,

Can you check on the Frank Foster Cd if it's not too much trouble. Thanks.

hi brad

it is the frank foster "no count" cd which is available i think ...

thanks

tom

I see "No Count" is being offered at Amazon Marketplace place for $30. As far as I know, "Two Franks, Please" has never made it to CD. Is that the Foster you're looking for, Brad?

Edited by Hank

*** update ***

thanks a lot for all your interest and PMs !

i will now check all requests from yesterday and til today (12 AM.) - so now this "offer" is closed, because i have no longer my hand on all these cds and they are for public sale in the store !

enjoy the music!

tom