MILES REISSUES SOUNDWISE ?

jeffsjazz

With so many choices lately of Miles reissues (am interested in: the "in" series,Walkin',etc),can any body compare soundwise the following (best to worst):

Concord's new Prestige box

Original OJC cd/20 bit digipack

K2 20 bit remaster (50th anniversary)

XRCD JVC

SACD

All audio comments appreciated.I have the K2's and am considering upgrading to the XRCD's,is it worth the $$ ? :w

With so many choices lately of Miles reissues (am interested in: the "in" series,Walkin',etc),can any body compare soundwise the following (best to worst):

Concord's new Prestige box

Original OJC cd/20 bit digipack

K2 20 bit remaster (50th anniversary)

XRCD JVC

SACD

All audio comments appreciated.I have the K2's and am considering upgrading to the XRCD's,is it worth the $$ ? :w

I think at this stage, the notion of "upgrade" is a fallacy - all of them sound different, all of them sound very good. What compels you to throw your money at these once again?

You will get different. You will not get some arbitrary notion of 'better'.

The best digital versions are the DCC Gold CDs released in the early 1990's, remastered by Steve Hoffman. They also sound better than the SACDs in hi-rez mode. They can be found on Ebay for $25-40/CD.

The XRCDs and K2 sound very fine too (but the XRCDs are too expensive). Their sound is more analytical compared to the DCCs.

The german ZYX 20bit CD should be avoided.

I haven't heard the newer CD versions (RVG or box set).

Edited by Claude

It's all subjective, and if you have the K2s, maybe just sit pretty or try the SACDs. I prefer the SACD that I have of one to all the other versions of that title that I've heard so far, next for me would be the XRCD minilp copy I have, then the K2, don't have an RVG of that particular title. I'm not as fond of the Hoffmans as others are.

So. . . if you have discretionary income to sample, sample some, but whichever is "better" no one here can tell you. I agree with Robert h. in this regard.

It's all subjective, and if you have the K2s, maybe just sit pretty or try the SACDs. I prefer the SACD that I have of one to all the other versions of that title that I've heard so far, next for me would be the XRCD minilp copy I have, then the K2, don't have an RVG of that particular title. I'm not as fond of the Hoffmans as others are.

So. . . if you have discretionary income to sample, sample some, but whichever is "better" no one here can tell you. I agree with Robert h. in this regard.

The packaging on the new box is spectacular. The CD's sound great to me, but I'm no expert on that topic.

I haven't heard the new box. I sent a copy to a friend as a gift, and he really likes the sound. . . but he's no audiophile. . .he's a trumpeter. :)

Well, if one must be drawn into the never ending and very pointless sonic debate:

The DCC's sound a bit too fat and warm - artificially, although it is very seductive for folks with 'cold' or 'hard' sounding systems, which I'm guessing they were remastered to suit - more customers in that era fit that bill.

I have the XRCD's - they are superb, I would consider them the best all around.

The new RVG's are outstanding, much more depth and detail than the DCC and a great listening experience, but they don't do enough to displace the XRCD.

The older K2's are pretty good and stand up well to the above versions.

Those are basically the better choices. I doubt anyone would be displeased with any of them and certainly it is silly to think there is an 'upgrade' from any.

The new RVG's are outstanding, much more depth and detail than the DCC and a great listening experience, but they don't do enough to displace the XRCD.

Have several Miles 1956 albums been RVG'd so far? Or are you speaking of the series in general?

Some RVGs (Lateef) are too maximised in my view, the bass sounds almost distorted. The Oliver Nelson sounds almost similar to the version in the Dolphy box set. So far I haven't heard a (Concord) RVG which sounds superior to previous versions.