Ayler goes digital

brownie

I'll be grabbing a few of these as soon as they are available on either itunes or emusic. The Gjerstad and Luther Thomas discs are the only ones available through either option so far.

I'm not sure if the quality of the file will vary but the price most definitely will. Itunes will be around 99 cents per track and emusic is around 25 cents per track.

Edited by John B

Ubu, don't ask me! I was hoping someone would test these and tell us if those downloads are worth it :blink:

The Futterman and Simmons look tempting!

Simmons looks fine... but how much is NOK 83,-? (if they make it available for download then why only in Norway? :mellow: ) (sound samples sound fine however)

Ubu, don't ask me! I was hoping someone would test these and tell us if those downloads are worth it :blink:

Simmons looks fine... but how much is NOK 83,-? (if they make it available for download then why only in Norway? :mellow: ) (sound samples sound fine however)

NOK 83 = $12.87 or £6.74, so they're not that cheap.

No way I'll learn how to handle this stuff to pay that much for some lousy MP3s! No sir! for 13$ I want a high-quality product and a cover, too!

No way I'll learn how to handle this stuff to pay that much for some lousy MP3s! No sir! for 13$ I want a high-quality product and a cover, too!

same here...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, first post around here.

The Futterman is really enjoyable, as are the Simmons and Gjerstad (my favorite of the three so far). The Steve Swell is right up my alley, with Ascension-like bits and pieces and incredible energy.

For the prices, it's true they varry from store to store, but as all releases will eventually be available at both iTunes and eMusic, it's just a question of time to get these at the best quality/price ratio.

I couldn't help but notice the comment about cover art, but I find Ayler's position on this quite unusual and noticeable. They do offer cover, tray and label artwork on their website, in the form of PDF files. This is rare enough to be acknowledged.

My 2 cents.

Hi, first post around here.

The Futterman is really enjoyable, as are the Simmons and Gjerstad (my favorite of the three so far). The Steve Swell is right up my alley, with Ascension-like bits and pieces and incredible energy.

For the prices, it's true they varry from store to store, but as all releases will eventually be available at both iTunes and eMusic, it's just a question of time to get these at the best quality/price ratio.

I couldn't help but notice the comment about cover art, but I find Ayler's position on this quite unusual and noticeable. They do offer cover, tray and label artwork on their website, in the form of PDF files. This is rare enough to be acknowledged.

My 2 cents.

welcome here!

At the moment I do have a job where I can occasionally print something in colour and I'm happy with those printouts, but still, it's not quite the same. I do not enjoy the whole development from quality to MP3 format, in general, but I do see the new distribution possibilities of the web. Anyway, I have not embraced it yet and I'll keep being at least reserved for some more time, I'm afraid... ;)

welcome here!

At the moment I do have a job where I can occasionally print something in colour and I'm happy with those printouts, but still, it's not quite the same. I do not enjoy the whole development from quality to MP3 format, in general, but I do see the new distribution possibilities of the web. Anyway, I have not embraced it yet and I'll keep being at least reserved for some more time, I'm afraid... ;)

I can understand that, being myself quite fond of good looking packaging, and considering that mp3 quality varry depending on the source store.

What I find interesting in Jan Ström's move is this notion of download-only titles, which allow him to release music that would not have reached the public for lack of potential CD sales.

If only for this, i guess it's something to praise.

And except for the medium, the music is mastered like regular releases, so if music stores do their stuff correctly, the result for the listener is quite fine.

welcome here!

I can understand that, being myself quite fond of good looking packaging, and considering that mp3 quality varry depending on the source store.

What I find interesting in Jan Ström's move is this notion of download-only titles, which allow him to release music that would not have reached the public for lack of potential CD sales.

If only for this, i guess it's something to praise.

And except for the medium, the music is mastered like regular releases, so if music stores do their stuff correctly, the result for the listener is quite fine.

Yeah, ok, but why can't he just put the files up on his site, you send 5 or 7 $ via paypal and get access to downloadable 320 kbps MP3s? Why always through some stores, none of which seem to really have good offerings for non US-citizens, and with none of which I want to register, as I'd only want to get that Ayler thing?

Yeah, ok, but why can't he just put the files up on his site, you send 5 or 7 $ via paypal and get access to downloadable 320 kbps MP3s? Why always through some stores, none of which seem to really have good offerings for non US-citizens, and with none of which I want to register, as I'd only want to get that Ayler thing?

You've got a point.

Although I think that you can write Jan and ask for a CDR burn of the DL releases. Or tell about your idea and maybe he'll think about such a solution.