BFT #42 CD 1

Mr. Bassman

What a luck for me today, that there is no rehearsal. So I have some time for you, this one is to The Magnificent Goldberg and his statements. To the problem with the quotation... there is really an upper limit (about 10 or something) for the quotations in one post. I had the suspicion, that there is one, and rockefeller center got the prove (he tested it). Therefore i use the "colored letter"- quotation-System :cool:

BFT 42 DISC 1

1 A German Word Jazz. Nice poem. Nice start to a bass feature.

hmmmm... the words are not german, aren't they? But it is a nice wordgame indeed. And you are absolutely right, it is a nice opener. I like this very much, the bass player follows the words for example the piece with the low tone....

2 CC – “Everything I’ve got belongs to you” – the only “disc where Oscar flubbed a note”. I’ve LOVED CC” since 1960. Thank you for including this Mr B. :wub:

Actually, I've always wondered whether Oscar really did miss a note and if C actually improvised that line, and the one following, or whether it was all worked out in advance.

:) He did not really miss the note... it is to be heard some bars in front of that line (my impression), and i believe she improvised it (actually I want to believe this, because it is that nice). AFAIK OP liked this kind of a solution, normally he would never give his okay to release that on a record. For me it ia a sign of humanity in music.... to flubb a note and receive that nice reaction. But if the whole was worked out.... it is a nice thing either.... for all of us musicians, who flubbed or will flubb a note (or two maybe three....)

3 Funky “In the mood”. Must be a German Radio band. A live performance. The drummer is really kicking during the guitarist’s solo. I like the guitarist and trumpeter, but for me the drummer’s the star. And the arranger. Love the growling trumpet section!

Yes, a live performance, not a german band. The stubborn Tjobbe has cracked the main thing, but there are still credits to earn.... this tune was not arranged by the main arranger.... this "problem" is still to be solved.

4 Bass & bari duet. Bass man establishes a very good mood from the outset. And the sax doesn’t disappoint, when that comes in. The baritone player sounds like someone I ought to recognise. Perhaps it’s Joe Temperley, he says, without much confidence. Whoever it is, this is a lovely piece of music. Yeah!

Well, this is an unsolved tune too, and it is not Joe Temperley. I think, the source is very hard to find, but i thought this is a very nice tune for a BFT.

5 Very boppish tune that I don’t recognise. The sound of the recording seems quite ‘40s-ish to me. But the playing time indicates that it must have been recorded in the LP era. Oh and the bass player has very modern chops. No idea who these people are. Not my sort of thing, but not something I screw my nose up at, either.

Okay, i'll give a whiff of information, this is not a familiar jazz-standard. It is a tune composed by the bass-player. Well the sound is really a bit strange, but no 40ies. and normally the label is wellknown for a good sound !!!! They have a kind of a sound-reference .... LPs, i mean the vinyl-things, but this is actually from the CD.

6 The tune sounds a bit musicianly. Sax player sounds like Joe Henderson on a quiet day. Perhaps it’s Bennie Maupin. Just time for a ciggy before this track ends.

No, these musicians are not to be heard. But it was unveiled very early by Nate Dorward.

7 Piano trio. Good stuff, I guess, but it really doesn’t get to me. Someone played me a Bill Evans record once, about 40 years ago. This feels like that did.

Interesting impression, do you mean the piano-Bill or the Sax-Bill of the two "big" Bills we have in the Evans-"family" ? (Yes, I know.... they are no relatives). Sometimes I have a similar impression, when i listen to this recording. It is well composed, the musicians try their best, but it didn't reach the heart.... But a good stuff for a BFT, I don't think, that this will be recognized (.... I appeal to your "sportmenship" .... ready .. steady.. GO :rolleyes: ).

8 “Cherokee”. Vibes – Lionel Hampton? Tenor player – more modern, but this was still the era when everyone played together. Piano – tons of chops in the left hand – Tatum or Hines? I really like this. It’s from a big gap in my collection.

No, it is not cherokee nor Lionel, but the player likes him.... i will check if there is a relationship between them.... i will post it, if i find something. Okay... the german participiants already know for sure, who they are. This is a very special record. The piano-player is not Hines nor Tatum. For more confusion.... it was recorded in the 1980ies and the same label as take#5 :g . Now, you nedd to know which label and then... up for a katalog or a listing.

9 Modern tenor & rhythm. Nowt here for me, I’m afraid. Just sittin’ here.

How do you like this, anyway ? Or where are the dislikes, can they be put into words ?

10 Film soundtrack music. Black & white film from the forties. The hero’s running through ill-lit streets, being chased by the baddies. He keeps looking back, ducking around corners, pausing to gasp for breath. Then he’s off again! He manages to keep his trilby on the whole time, however – no mean feat! He’s slowing down, but he’s found somewhere to hole up.

The baddies race off into the night in the wrong direction.

actually no film-music, but i would watch yours :D I am not allowed to give any hints at this moment.

11 Drums, bass and cello. And guitar. Sounds a lot like an exercise in all four musicians’ technique, to me. There’s something familiar about some of the riffs – country feel to some of the guitar figures.

Listen carefully again.... are there that much musicians ? What you say about the technical aspects... yes they have great technical skills, but not only. Sometimes they give clinics to music-students (i think i read that and remember that right), maybe one can hear this in this performance.

12 This starts off as though it’s going to be familiar, then it isn’t. Pianist feels a bit like Harold Mabern in a modern mood.

No, it is not Mabern. What can you say to the title ? What seems to be familiar ? And... do you like this one ?

13 Electric trombone? How does he make those funny sounds? I love that trombonist, but can’t say the same for the alto player, the pianist, or the tune.

Ohh, you dislike this ???? But you put the finger on an interesting point.... i must check about that "electric trombone".... I think, there is no artificial effect in this. We will see....

14 Really don’t like this one.

Okay, accepted. But what disturbes you, are there any specific things or is it an overall :tdown ?

15 Sounds like a Christmas carol. Or a medley of carols. Like this one. Nice ending.

Hmmmm... I did not expect, that take 15 is that difficult and nobody has an idea, who this is. The composers are unveiled, but not the performer. And it is not a Christmas carol. A little disturbancy ???? One of the composers is a jazz-musician, really!! Tjobbe can confirm this without any doubt, can you ? :D

Lots of stuff I’ve enjoyed in this one Mr B. Thanks for putting them all together.

Thank you for that. Maybe i will register for another one

with regards

Mr. Bassman

Edited by Mr. Bassman

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...... and normally the label is wellknown for a good sound !!!! ..........

!! Tjobbe can confirm this without any doubt, can you ? :D

So you say I need to check my CD's from the gone xxxxx label for that one ?

oh and yes..J.J is one of my all time favourite Jazz pianist and George Riedel one of the bess swedish Jazz bass players... and the tune is title tune of that little red haired girl from Astrid Lindgren but that doesn't get me any clue who plays here <_<

Edited by tjobbe

hmmmm... the words are not german, aren't they? But it is a nice wordgame indeed. And you are absolutely right, it is a nice opener. I like this very much, the bass player follows the words for example the piece with the low tone....

10 Film soundtrack music. Black & white film from the forties. The hero’s running through ill-lit streets, being chased by the baddies. He keeps looking back, ducking around corners, pausing to gasp for breath. Then he’s off again! He manages to keep his trilby on the whole time, however – no mean feat! He’s slowing down, but he’s found somewhere to hole up.

The baddies race off into the night in the wrong direction.

actually no film-music, but i would watch yours :D I am not allowed to give any hints at this moment.

I think I had "The Third Man" in mind, together with a cigarette ad on TV in Britain in the late '50s "You're never alone with a Strand". Glad you liked the screenplay.

Try also "Secret agent men" by Akira Tana (with Lonnie Smith) - film & TV spy themes plus 5 original tracks at the end; "Fictitious soundtracks from "Tough Guy"" :)

12 This starts off as though it’s going to be familiar, then it isn’t. Pianist feels a bit like Harold Mabern in a modern mood.

No, it is not Mabern. What can you say to the title ? What seems to be familiar ? And... do you like this one ?

I thought it was Mabern because he seems to have a knack of writing tunes that you think you've known a long time, but which you've actually never heard before. Now, maybe I HAVE heard this tune before, I don't know :) But yes, I liked it a lot, even if it's not Mabern.

13 Electric trombone? How does he make those funny sounds? I love that trombonist, but can’t say the same for the alto player, the pianist, or the tune.

Ohh, you dislike this ???? But you put the finger on an interesting point.... i must check about that "electric trombone".... I think, there is no artificial effect in this. We will see....

No, I didn't dislike it. I LOVED the trombonist - and am very impressed if there were no electronics. But the others were good, just not as good for me as the trombonist.

14 Really don’t like this one.

Okay, accepted. But what disturbes you, are there any specific things or is it an overall :tdown ?

There is a lot of modern jazz I don't like much. But I particularly don't like spiky tunes and spiky improvisations. They just don't seem best calculated to be widely entertaining, which I think should be the aim of most musicians.

(In a John MacEnroe tone of voice) I DO NOT GET THIS!!!!! :crazy:

MG

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg

Yes, it is English, but spoken with what sounded to me like a German accent. But I see now that it is a Dutchman speaking.

Yes, it is English, but spoken with what sounded to me like a German accent. But I see now that it is a Dutchman speaking.

Well, if it's the sax player someone above identified: He's a Danish citizen of American descent! And the bassist is from Poland. He used to liove in Frankfurt for a while, played with Peter Giger a lot, still does in a trio setting, or did until recently.

Re track 13: I think the trombonist is achieving the chords by singing simultaneously, like the late Albert Mangelsdorff did so eloquently - of course it's not Albert on this track. I wonder who it is, as he does it so well and stays right in the pocket at the same time. No electronics here.

Maybe a typing error? He is not a dutchman, another european country with a "d" indeed

Ah, I meant to miss the right note, not to leave one out. It would have to be a VERY bad miss for me to notice it, I think.

:) Yes, one has to listen carefully to the bass-line to recognize this flubbing. I would be proud of myself, if my flubbings are like that. :w but beside the flubbing... this is a really nice tune and CC is a great singer for me, and I am normally not very interested in singers. Mikeweil gives me a good lesson. On the other hand... OP is one of my fav. bass-players.

I guess from your remarks later this must have been done in the '80s. I expected fifties from the sound and the length of the track.

As i said in another posting, The sound on this recording is like the sound was, when they play in front of the audience. The bass-player used a "not-that-good" pickup, although this could be a famous bass-instrument (if he used that one i have in mind, during the recording-session). There is a nice story about this musician and one of his instruments. I will tell in the answers thread. I am nearly sure, that there is a normal piano and not a grand in the studio (but this is only a guess, there is no confirmation to this). The recording is made really in the 1980ies, i can confirmed this. Maybe they wanted this 50ies sound in case of a recommendation to that time-period and the music. The title of this tune seem to lead in that direction.

I meant the pianist. I think I have some of the sax player on a LesMcCann album.

Okay, I get it. well, this tune here in the BFT goes in that direction, i can follow your statement... but i like Bill Evans on piano a lot and he touches me several times.

I think I had "The Third Man" in mind, together with a cigarette ad on TV in Britain in the late '50s "You're never alone with a Strand". Glad you liked the screenplay.

Try also "Secret agent men" by Akira Tana (with Lonnie Smith) - film & TV spy themes plus 5 original tracks at the end; "Fictitious soundtracks from "Tough Guy"" :)

I know "the third man" and i like the film. I can imagine, that the tune here can go to that impression, but, as i know the title and the original-thing, it is a bit joking for me, to put that one in a spy-film. The other films you mentioned i actually can't remember, but i will look forward to them. I think, you will have a smile, when the answer is posted.

I thought it was Mabern because he seems to have a knack of writing tunes that you think you've known a long time, but which you've actually never heard before. Now, maybe I HAVE heard this tune before, I don't know :) But yes, I liked it a lot, even if it's not Mabern.

Yes, there can be some Mabernisms in the playing, and it can be, that you have really heard that one, but in a total different way, I am nearly sure. And a little info.... the piano player is not the original composer. The whole disc is about a very special composer, sometimes, the original is very hard to recognize, i think you will like the rest of it either, but there are some more modern aspects in the other interpretations.

No, I didn't dislike it. I LOVED the trombonist - and am very impressed if there were no electronics. But the others were good, just not as good for me as the trombonist.

I still have no true confirmation from a written source, but i think there is no electronic effect, beside the microphone. It seems to be the same technique, that Albert Mangelsdorff has developed in his trombone-playing.

There is a lot of modern jazz I don't like much. But I particularly don't like spiky tunes and spiky improvisations. They just don't seem best calculated to be widely entertaining, which I think should be the aim of most musicians.

:g Okay, accepted. but i think, there is an audience even for that type of music. In a John MacEnroe way i would say: "The ball was in" :g

Now i will see, what the quotation-machine does in that case.....

with regards

Mr. Bassman

added later: :g Ah, my posting overlapped with mikeweil.... but i leave mine without editing it.

Edited by Mr. Bassman

on track #10, got some suspicion but need to check first if the violin and guitar might be overdubbed as the "unmasked" might indicate that I should know this guitar player quite well.

Cheers, Tjobbe

P.S. I know that Muthspiel as well played violin on selected recordings....

on Track #5 knowing the Label I'm doing some wild guess now: bass player is hungarian and died recently in September ? I would guess the title is called Bop dance (which somehow might fit as well) and features Antolini/Scherer/Wilfer :w

Cheers, Tjobbe

:D Not that bad :D:tup Yes, knowing the label is half the way !

on track #10, got some suspicion but need to check first if the violin and guitar might be overdubbed as the "unmasked" might indicate that I should know this guitar player quite well.

Cheers, Tjobbe

:) Aha, the violinist has dropped his mask :tup . But there are still credits to earn :g

:g Okay, accepted. but i think, there is an audience even for that type of music. In a John MacEnroe way i would say: "The ball was in" :g

The "I do not get this" remark referred to the fact that my second post worked OK with the quotes, but the first didn't. I split the post to see if having fewer quotes worked OK, but it didn't. Then it did. So I still don't get it. (Where's the smiley of someone tearing out their hair at the machinery?)

MG

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg

The "I do not get this" remark referred to the fact that my second post worked OK with the quotes, but the first didn't. I split the post to see if having fewer quotes worked OK, but it didn't. Then it did. So I still don't get it. (Where's the smiley of someone tearing out their hair at the machinery?)

MG

Edited by Mr. Bassman

MG

This one should work in the proper way !

Edited by Mr. Bassman

MG

Ahhhh, that was a remark about the quoting-thing. Yesterday Rockefeller Center explained me a possoble mistake-source. There has to be kept a certain semantic-rule and order-structure. And on solving that problem, we discovered that upper limit-thing. The semantic and order-structure was perfect... and still there was no quoting. But we didn't check the max-Volume yet, maybe more than 10 ??? The funny thing is, there is no error-message implanted, as in case of too much smilies, where you will get one. So i can follow John MacEnroe in this case :D

you can see in this post the false order-structure ! There is one [ /quote] - Order too much (to be that correct... two orders) There has to be a logical sequence and an equal counting of [ quote] [/ quote] - Orders. Otherwise.... this happens.

Yes - and it's so hard to spot when quotes are nested. It's the same as trying to spot when you have the wrong number of brackets in a formula.

MG

Cheers, Tjobbe

:) Aha, the violinist has dropped his mask :tup . But there are still credits to earn :g

I have a suspicion on where that track #10 is from....is it track #3 from HERE ?

Yes - and it's so hard to spot when quotes are nested. It's the same as trying to spot when you have the wrong number of brackets in a formula.

MG

Yeah, and it reminds me to the old days of fortran-programming or "Spaghetti-Basic" :g

Never did Fortran, but spaghetti basic was a speciality of the house!

MG