I think I'm done with buying Blue Notes on eBay

Dmitry

Recently I won an auction for a Hank Jones Savoy LP. It was described as... Near Mint Minus! :rlol

I thought I would take a chance on it because it seemed like a good deal even for a VG++ record. It turned out it was in pretty bad shape, but as I had just moved I didn't have my stereo at hand and wasn't able to play it at that time. I didn't have the time to go though a lot of trouble just to check the LP, so I ended up giving the seller positive feedback anyway.

Of late, I've been disappointed almost every time I've gotten LPs from eBay. No more of that for me.

You probably have noticed already that there are a few Ebay last minute bidders that bid high. They always win, no question. Sometimes they win three or four, even more records from the same seller, and at 200 $, 300$, or 1000. Sometimes they spent maybe 2000 or 3000 $ in one minute. Or they buy 25 records a week... Imagine the amount of money. But i cannot beleive that they NEVER get burned, in other words, that they are ALWAYS satisified with the pricey stuff they win. Anyway, everything seems flawless, they never left a negative, they never get one... This is really amazing. Okay, financially speaking, we are not in the same category, anyway, they seem to live in buyer's paradise, and to buy at Seller's paradise. Amazing... :huh:

Do not bid by Item, bid by seller. A short list, and that's all.

i like that idea too - just said this to my wife this morning while still angry about these bad records i got.

and also serious non ebay dealers are fine - although maybe you pay a little more, but you have a good service, can return the item and you know the grading.

A good rule could be : "the first misgraded record i buy from this seller is the last i buy from him". I did that in the past, and it helps resist to the bidding addiction. Now i no longer shop from some of Ebay sellers, whatever feedback they have. What counts is MY experience with them, period. Don't forget that Blue Note albums are not rare, just sought after. Whatever they says.