Steps/Steps Ahead

Guy Berger

I have one Steps Ahead album, Modern Times from 1984.

Warren Burnhardt, Eddie Gomez, Peter Erskine, Michael Brecker and Mike Mainieri.

Not bad, not great. I play it once a year when I want to hear something electric (I have very little fusion in my collection.). It's not as good as you would expect such a lineup to produce, but as I say, it's not bad.

Glenn's rec "Smokin' In The Pit" is a good one. This is a very 80's sounding band, and that's not at all bad thing IMHO. Sure, you got your Steve Gadd, you got your Mike Manieri synth-vibes, you got some fairly big hair. But I have fond memories of the 80s as it seems to be the last time I had any kind of sex life. :ph34r:

I grew up listening to these guys and have always enjoyed their music, and it would be impossible to not recommend at least checking them out. Not every recording was a gem, but there were some great moments, especially on the live sets.

I grew up listening to these guys and have always enjoyed their music, and it would be impossible to not recommend at least checking them out. Not every recording was a gem, but there were some great moments, especially on the live sets.

:g ... those were the days back in the 80ies. I was not that impressed in those days (and today), but you had to know these band-project back in the 80ies. There was this time of "elegant fusion" (i like to call this kind of music to have a name for that kind of stuff) and you had to know some tunes of steps ahead, when you participate in the countless jam-sessions in my home-region. (Oh yeah... jam-sessions....there were a lot of oportunities in those days.... ).

I have some recordings on some cassettes and, at least, one CD. It is the CD "Steps ahead" published at 1983 (by Electra/Asylum records, a division of Warner Brothers) with Mike Brecker, Mike Mainieri, Eddie Gomez, Eliane Elias and Peter Erskine.... a kind of a different musician-list to steps ahead. They called that CD their first world-wide released recording. Well, this might not be the best one, but an interesting one, because of the band members and the somewhat "rough" playing (not that elegant as normally... ).

The live recordings are more interesting, because you can hear, what they really play. The studio recordings are sometimes a bit "clean" and maybe they include a bit to much "producing-gimmicks". As is know some of the music-education-places here in Germany, the music of steps ahead is still in use as educational work for the students as an example for music in the 80ies. You can see, they leave their tracks in music history!

with regards

Mr. Bassman

Glenn's rec "Smokin' In The Pit" is a good one. This is a very 80's sounding band, and that's not at all bad thing IMHO. Sure, you got your Steve Gadd, you got your Mike Manieri synth-vibes, you got some fairly big hair. But I have fond memories of the 80s as it seems to be the last time I had any kind of sex life. :ph34r:

I always like the way the vibes sounded. Have you ever checked out the Arista All Stars Montreux recordings? Their approach sounds similar to how you're describing Steps Ahead. I'll have to check out their recordings sometime.

I always like the way the vibes sounded. Have you ever checked out the Arista All Stars Montreux recordings? Their approach sounds similar to how you're describing Steps Ahead. I'll have to check out their recordings sometime.

You mean those Blue Montreaux sides? I've always liked those. I have one on CD, but both on vinyl.

BTW, I think I mentioned this once on another thread: Mike Manieri and the Steps Ahead boys did the music for a Jane Fonda Workout video, circa 1990. Not necessarily the best Steps Ahead, but kinda fun to hear Michael Brecker tearing it up while the spandex bunnies are jumping around.

I think it might be this one:

6302872227.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

BTW, I think I mentioned this once on another thread: Mike Manieri and the Steps Ahead boys did the music for a Jane Fonda Workout video, circa 1990. Not necessarily the best Steps Ahead, but kinda fun to hear Michael Brecker tearing it up while the spandex bunnies are jumping around.

I think it might be this one:

6302872227.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Great gooogly mooogly!!!!! :excited: