Jim Hall "The Complete Jazz Guitar"

jeffsjazz

I bought a Japanese re-issue of 'Jazz Guitar' from Hiroshi Tanno at earlyrecords.com a few months ago which has complete versions of the ten original tracks. I presume that some of the tracks are LP dubs but the sound overall is excellent. It doesn't contain the track 'Too close for comfort' which was issued on a Pacific Jazz anthology and was never on the original LP.

For anyone that's interested the catalogue number is TOCJ-6819

• 7 years later...

I recently picked up the original CD reissue. Although I knew that I wanted to pick up the reissue with the complete sessions, I also wanted to own the legitimate release. After hearing the edited version, I can't fathom why Richard Bock felt the need to edit Carl Perkins' solos or add drums. I'm also confused why the legit reissue didn't simply dub the complete versions from a surviving LP. Blue Note has dubbed from LP before, i.e., on Lou Donaldson's Lush Life. Considering the historical importance of it being Hall's first leader date and the presence of Carl Perkins, as well as its artistic importance, it's a shame that they didn't see fit to reissue the complete, unedited session.