Music that reminds you of Christmas/holidays....

Big Al

I was digging out my copy of U2's Unforgettable Fire EP, and the title song brought back memories of Christmas 1985. Plus the song has a very wintry feel to it.

Also, for one reason or another, Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation brings back memories of Christmas 1989, and that frigid space between Christmas and New Years when nothing really happens. There's guitar bits that sound like the kind of thing the Edge was doing at the same time.

XTC's Drums and Wires, Black Sea, and Mummer also bring back memories of Christmas 1989, mainly because I bought all three of these at an import shop in Schaumburg, IL while visiting Gramma that Christmas.

Jack Wilson's Easterly Winds came out around Christmastime as a Conn a few years ago; I listened to that so much, "Frank's Tune" is as much a Christmas carol for me as Johnny Smith's "Moonlight in Vermont!"

Any y'all know what I'm talking about here? Or have music to share?

Johnny Copeland's "Copeland Special", with soloists George Adams and Hamiet Bluiett--because I once played it repeatedly on Christmas day, many years ago. The look of the LP's cover and the sound of the music just reek of Christmas to me, whenever I see or hear them.

Edited by Hot Ptah

Bill Evans, especially the Riverside LPs. Charlie Parker's "Stella By Starlight," for some reason that I can't quite explain... George Shearing Quintet.

Funny that you bring up this topic, Big Al. I'm working on a last-minute replacement program for tomorrow night's Afterglow (Betty Comden tribute in the second hour) and I'm trying to pick some music for the first hour that has a holiday "feel" without actually being holiday music (wall-to-wall on that for the 12/15 and 12/22 broadcasts).

Bill Evans, especially the Riverside LPs. Charlie Parker's "Stella By Starlight," for some reason that I can't quite explain... George Shearing Quintet.

Funny that you bring up this topic, Big Al. I'm working on a last-minute replacement program for tomorrow night's Afterglow (Betty Comden tribute in the second hour) and I'm trying to pick some music for the first hour that has a holiday "feel" without actually being holiday music (wall-to-wall on that for the 12/15 and 12/22 broadcasts).

Happy to help! If I think of any others, I'll post 'em! ;)