Exact Audio Copy Hates Free Jazz

robviti

has anyone ever tried to use the exact audio copy software to burn a copy of a free jazz recording? i have, and more times than not, i've run into a brick wall. when eac scans music, it slows down the reading process when it encounters possible sync errors. with most music that's fine. with free jazz, however, eac frequently misinterprets dense passages or frenetic solos as errors. today, it ran for over 12 hours trying to read through just one track of willliam parker's the peach orchard - and it still couldn't do it!

more than anything, i find this situation rather funny. it takes me back to a time when i couldn't or wouldn't open myself up to appreciate freer froms of music. i used to think as eac does, that these less obvious forms of expression are errors, mistakes, random noises. i guess that's how a lot of jazz sounds to many people.

so, do you think i should bring this fact to the attention of eac's creator? maybe request an updated, avant garde-friendly version of the software? :rolleyes:

Interesting...I don't have many recordings of the "dense" variety (as opposed to things like "Interstellar Space") and I seem to remember that ripping that kind of thing did take a long time. I always assumed it was just a dirty or scratched CD.

EAC does seem to hate my work computer! I'm not sure if the IT people have disabled something that EAC needs, but I can't even get the program to recognize when a CD is in the drive so I can configure it. Before I even put a disc in the drive, I run the "autoconfigure" wizard and it has a checkbox next to the line "EAC has detected the following drives in your system." Only problem is that there's nothing else there, just a checkbox. Has anyone else had problems with this kind of thing before?

I agree with Claude : there is no question EAC is THE best audio cd ripper on the market.It is not really tricky, but it needs to be perfectly configured...

That leads me to the problems encountered by two members : if EAC has been set up onto a PC running Win2000 or similar, that means the administrator has to give the rights to install fully and properly this software.If not, chances are high it works poorly, or not at all.

Regarding the problems encountered with some Cd's(regardless of course of the kind of music : it's all 1 and 0's...)you should select in the options menu a priority for quality against speed.

Normally that should improve things, although there is always a possibility to run into a faulty CD (or CD player : did you ever try to read the faulty CD from another player?).

Hope this will help

Am I the only one who finds EAC (not to be confused with AEC!) vastly overrated and often unnecessary? Every time i've tried it I've had nothing but problems; meanwhile, Roxio works fine every time, with no errors.

I love EAC and would not think of using anything else. When you use Roxio to extract are you saving a copy to your hard drive and then burning or do you just extract/burn the disc "on the fly"? You might not notice any problems w/ the former but you probably will w/ the latter.

Well if that method works for you, great. Personally, I've noticed little sonic gremlins when I use the "on the fly" method. I think this is becoming less of a problem w/ computers that have "dual core" technology. Anyway, it didn't happen all the time when I did OTF burns but the gremlins occurred enough that it made me switch over to EAC.

Am I the only one who finds EAC (not to be confused with AEC!) vastly overrated and often unnecessary?

not overrated, but often unnecessary. If your original disk is good, any ole ripper will do the same as EAC does, only MUCH more intuitive, often faster and with a lot less hassle. It's like using the Rolls Royce to deliver pizzas, it's good and it works, but you need to check what the driver thinks about the road and he slows down to a stand still whenever there is a bump.

Usually it's easier to take the Vespa.

sm_LP9020_GoMan_web.jpg

Am I the only one who finds EAC (not to be confused with AEC!) vastly overrated and often unnecessary?

not overrated, but often unnecessary. If your original disk is good, any ole ripper will do the same as EAC does, only MUCH more intuitive, often faster and with a lot less hassle. It's like using the Rolls Royce to deliver pizzas, it's good and it works, but you need to check what the driver thinks about the road and he slows down to a stand still whenever there is a bump.

Usually it's easier to take the Vespa.

sm_LP9020_GoMan_web.jpg

Oddly enough, that's almost like the cover of Britney's upcoming album. :lol:

Serious traders (before Dime) all seem to insist on EAC being the start of the chain (some also expect a particular type of blank, and a slower burning speed). I always tell them "no problem", use Goldwave to extract the disc to wav format and burn from the hard drive, and not a single CD has ever had problems.

Am I the only one who finds EAC (not to be confused with AEC!) vastly overrated and often unnecessary? Every time i've tried it I've had nothing but problems; meanwhile, Roxio works fine every time, with no errors.

My skills with computers and software are quite primitive, but I managed to follow all the steps in CHRIS MYDEN'S GUIDE and get EAC and LAME to work seamlessly together the very first time. Now my problem is storage for my MP3's...

Quite a surprise to me- I was expecting to have problems because I usually do in such instances!