Help me identify this record cover

robviti

okay, so you may have looked at the title of this thread and said to yourself, "what's with this knucklehead? he already answered his own question!" first off, as a shrink i can tell you it ain't good to be talking to yourself. :D and second, it's not the artist or title i'm looking for, it's the date, country, and the label info that ii want.

here's one version, which i think is the first cover of the lp bohemia after dark on savoy in the u.s. (mg 12017).

12017x.jpg

now here's the cover i need info on:

826.jpg

as always, thanks in advance for any replies.

That's what I originally thought, but this very same site calls the top cover "the First Cover on SAVOY LP (USA) Release number MG 12017." So is this statement erroneous? If so, then what issue was graced by the top cover? As good as the site is, I have noticed some other discographical errors.

The one with the Cafe Bohemia sign was the original one. Savoy MG12017. It was a Kenny Clarke date recorded July 14, 1955.

When Cannonball's name exploded on the scene, the LP was re-released with the cover highlighting his presence.

Cannonball Adderley's Savoy MG12018 was recorded July 26, 1955.

The one with the Cafe Bohemia sign was the original one. Savoy MG12017. It was a Kenny Clarke date recorded July 14, 1955.

When Cannonball's name exploded on the scene, the LP was re-released with the cover highlighting his presence.

Cannonball Adderley's Savoy MG12018 was recorded July 26, 1955.

so if i've got it straight, then the bottom image is the original cover of the Savoy lp MG12017. The upper image is a later reissue, even though the website clearly states that this is the "first cover."

i'm not sure why you've introduced MG12018 into the conversation. that's a later date, although they both feature cannonball and klook.

i'm not sure why you've introduced MG12018 into the conversation. that's a later date, although they both feature cannonball and klook.

Mentioned this second date because the two sessions have been gathered togethe in various reissues. Sorry if it caused any confusion :(

The former Cafe Bohemia, by the by, is still open...in a way.

Located at 15 Barrow St. in New York City, it's now a souless, generic bar that I suppose caters to the university kids who are nearby.

I believe all the wood and rafters are original though.

The place is damn small too - but what great recordings we have from that tiny place!