Shirley Scott

"Common Touch" is a real groove - I play it over and over, especially "Lonely Avenue", but it's all fantastic. The CD comes with a long bonus track, "Ain't No Way", from a session that seems to have produced nothing else. The CD is its proper home, now.

Yeah, that CD is one of the all time great organ/tenor boogaloo records! Bob Cranshaw is killing on bass on that session. Who in the hell thought "Blowin' in the Wind" could be swung to death like that!

That "Blowin' In The Wind" track is a real cooker! I love the grunts from the drummer, heard pretty much all the way through, as he kicks it along.

Not all the tracks are boogaloo on that CD.

As I listened to that track, it hit me that Shirley is kinda doing an Oscar Peterson on organ there.

however, i wish she would have made her career at the piano. i cant hear enough of her beautiful swinging touch. hearing shirley pianize embraceable you is a sumptuous delight.

The last 10-12 years of her performing career she led the house band at Ortlieb's here in Philly. The other members were Mickey Roker on drums and Arthur Harper on bass. Great band. Anyway, I must have seen her play at Ortlieb's more than 25 times - always on piano(Steinway). My friends and I would lament that it would be great to hear her on the B3!! Alas.

Shirley was not only a nice person but truly a great musician, organ player, and organ tech. She really knew the instrument inside and out... When I did the "Heart Of The Forrest" gig with Shirley Scott and Jimmy Forrest in 1978 she really blew our minds! We all got together in the afternoon at the nightclub to load in and rehearse our show. The B3 and leslie that was furnished had serious issues, and was badly in need of a tune up. There were broken wires and the organ hadn't been oiled in quite some time.. Shirley spent hours in that organ with a light and a soldering gun, oiling the organ, adjusting the leslie, and adjusting the pedals so it was playable, so we took a long break and had only time for a short rehearsal before the doors opened..

When we started playing that organ sounded sweet .. It was a great night of music and was originally released on the Palo Alto label and has since been re-issued on CD.

Awesome story.

Randy, outside of Organissimo and the previously mentioned album, have you played on anything else??

• 1 month later...

Another piano album by Shirley Scott is this 'Rencontres du Cloitre, vol. 1'

B00004TK12.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_AA240_.jpg

which was published by the French basque regional label Jazz Aux Remparts. It was recorded in July 1996 when Shirley Scott gave a solo piano recital in the cloister of the Bayonne cathedral.

It is a very beautiful album.

Volume 2 which was recorded at the same place does not seem to have ever been released!

Edited by brownie