BFT # 44 - CD two Answers

Durium

KEEP SWINGING

It seems as if most participants have posted their commends and I don't think new information will be posted. I gues it's time to rise the curtain !!

CD two

1. Faux departs sur Kansas City Kitty / Kansas City Kitty (Leslie – Donaldson) ( 5:01 )

Sharkey et co ( later Charquet & Co. ): Jean-Pierre Morel co as kazoo dir vo, Emmanuel Hussenot co vo, Gabriel Conesa jr. tb, Alain Marquet cl ts, Daniel Huck as ts cl vo, Jean-Jacques Bodu ts cl, Norbert Claro p, Alain Marcheteau banj, Sandrik de Davrichewy g, Bert Jouis tu. Gill’s Club, 5 May 1972.

sharkey.jpg

This hilarious start of the second selection shows the fun and enthusiasm of one of the hottest French traditional jazz bands of the 1970s, Sharkey et co. This false starts of this 1920s traditional is to be found on their 2nd LP titled Kansas City Kitty. The leader of the band was Jean-Pierre Morel. They changed their name in Charquet et Co and during the 1970s they made several LPs and were on stages all through Western Europe. At the top of their success, in 1978, Morel felt in necessary to leave music for a while and Charquet et Co was disbanded. It is, looking back, an unforgivable mistake that I never visited a concert of this band during that period.

In the 1980s some other hot bands became important, like the Hot Antic Jazz Band and the Orpheon Celesta. They continued to play in the tradition of the hot jazz music style. Some of the musicians of Charquet et Co played in the Orpheon Celesta, like Emmanuel Hussenot and Daniel Huck. I heard this great band at a 1985 concert in Maastricht ( The Netherlands)

Due to the fact that one of the members of Charquet et co passed away, the 1970s members reunite at his funeral and decided to make an engagement for a jam session some month later and so the band reunited. In November 1996, the Petit Jazzband de Mr. Morel had his first public appearance and I was so lucky to hear this rebirth Charquet et Co, in May 1998 at the Chassé Theatre in Breda ( The Netherlands) featuring Jean-Pierre Morel, Alain Marquet and Daniel Huck as members of the original band.

Although I suggested the fall of Charquet & Co and the rebirth of a small orchestra by the leader, most of you couldn't label this famous band. The LPs are now collectors items ( one CD was released), but the music of Le Petit Jazz Band de Mr. Morel is still available.

In my Keep Swing web log I posted information about this great Charquet et Co band and some film fragments.

Hot Antic Jazz Band

2. O.A. 1926 ( Oscar Aleman)

Oscar Aleman: Oscar Aleman cavaquinho vo. Recorded in Buenos Aires Sep-Oct. 1972 ( Redondel LP SL-10508 // CD 45025 )

There was no discussion - Oscar Aleman should be in this blindfold test. As the compiler of the first internet discography of this guitar player I researched his life and music.

Aleman_72.jpg

Oscar Aleman might be one of the most underestimated jazz guitar players of the XXth century. He started his carreer as a young boy in Argentina and Brazil en learned to play the cavaquinho, the Brazilian ukulele. His carreer in France in the 1930s is known by some jazz historians, but what happened after 1940, when he returned to South America is only known in Argentina. He is still immense popular there, although he died more then 25 years ago and all his records are available on CD.

The very first tune he could play on the cavaquinho, somewhere in the 1920s, was titled O.A. 1926 and he played in obscure venues all around Buenos Aires. It was never recorded, of course, but he played it in 1972 for a Redondel session and on numerous radio programs. Mind that you only hear the cavaquinho, the rhythm is made by his feet. And … by the way: I learned that O.A. didn’t mean Oscar Aleman, but Oceano Atlantico. I hope someone in Argentina or beyond can confirm that.

El Redescubrimiento de Oscar Aleman project

Oscar Aleman web log

3. Sweet Sue ( Young-Harris) 2:49

Jam Session : Henry Hagemann cl ts, Svend Asmussen v, Oscar Aleman g, Helge Jacobsen g, Alfred Rasmussen b, Bibi Miranda dm. ) Recorded in Copenhagen, 5 Dec.1938 ( HMV (Dk) X 6212 )

sweet%20sue.jpg

This session was organized by Svend Asmussen, the Danish violin player and entertainer. Thanks to the fact that Oscar Aleman was in Copenhagen with the Josephine Baker revue this tune could be made, titled jam session or Danish jam session, as it was a rather spontaneous event. It is said that this 1938 recordings session contains the best guitar music of the 1930s.

Bibi%20Oscar2.jpg

Jam Session

This Jam Session was the central item at a presentation I made, with the helps of my friends and also passioned Alemaniacs Joergen and Theo, at the 2005 IAJRC convention in the Palace Hotel in Copenhagen. During this presentation Svend Asmussen, then nearly 90 years young, was present and took part of my presentation. It was a great moment to meet this great personality, musician and friend of Oscar Aleman.

I'm glad I found a rare film fragment with Oscar playing the guitar in one of his films: Oscar Aleman in Idolo del tango

Hot Club de Boedo web blog ( The Alemaniacs )

4. Runnin’ Wild ( Joe Grey Gibbs / A. Harrington) ( 7:05)

Svend Asmussen Quartet: Svend Asmussen v, Jacob Fischer g, Jesper Lundgaard b, Aage Tanggaard dm Recorded inn Linkoping, Sweden - 30 March 1996. ( Fit as a Fiddle – Svend Asmussen Quartet ( Dacapo ))

327926.jpg

assm04.jpg

Svend Asmussen, now 91 years old, is still active as a jazz performer. This recording was made in 1996, when he was in his 80s, with his regular group, featuring some skilled Danish musicans, like Jacob Fischer on guitar, Jesper Lundgaard on bass and Aage Tanggaard at the drums. I heard this group playing in 2005 at the IAJRC convention in Copenhagen ( Denmark) where I made a presentation about Oscar Aleman.

Svend Asmussen Quartet

5. Daydream( Jackie McLean ) 4.59

Steve Davis Quintet: Steve Davis tb, ( Roy Hargrove tp,) Peter Bernstein g, ( Anthony Wonsey p,) Nat Reeves b, Joe Farnsworth dm. Recorded NYC 1 Dec. 2005 ( Steve Davis - Update( Criss 1282 CD))

( not on this track )

1282.jpg

The trombone player seemed to be very difficult to trace. Well to be honest ..... for me Steve Davis was unknown too. I bought this CD due to the presence of Roy Hargrove (not presence on this track). So for me too Steve Davis was new, but he started his career as a sidemen with Art Blakey’s Jazz Messengers in 1990 and Jackie McLean’s Sextet ( 1992 ) and during recent years with Freddie Hubbard and Chick Corea. This is his second album for Criss Cross and I have chosen Daydream because I like this ballad. He became inspired by a version of this tune played by Grover Washington and Kenny Burrell, wehich his father had in his collection. His father sugested him to play this in a piano less quartet with a guitar. Peter Bernstein is the guitar player, recognized by several members. A great performer !

6. Sail Away ( T. Harrell) ( 8:09)

Christina von Bülow Trio (featuring Jan Allan): Christina von Bülow as, Jan Allan tp, Jacob Fixcher g, Jens Skou Olsen b. Recorded ca. 2002 ( West of the Moon – Christina von Bülow Trio ( Music Mecca CD 3059))

dok34pic2.jpg

I heard Christina von Bülow for the first time in the summer of 2005 in the Palace Hotel in Copenhagen. She is one of the leading alto saxophone players of Denmark. Her trio is one of the best Danish chamber jazz groups and plays on this record with the Swedish trumpet player Jan Allan. She has a warm and soft sound. For me was Jacob Fischer, as I was not an expert in Danish jazz, a surprise. It is a pity that such a great guitar player is unknown outside Denmark. I heard him in the trio that accompanied Svend Asmussen, in the group String Swing and just free jamming at a café somewhere in Copenhagen with members of the group Choro Brasil Scandinavia.

Christina von Bülow homepage | Christina von Bülow | Jacob Fischer

7. Walking Shoes ( Gerry Mulligan) 5:01

Fay Claassen: Fay Claassen vo, Jan Menu bars, Hein van de Geyn b, John Engels dm. Recorded Amsterdam July 2005 ( Fay Claassen sings Two Portraits of Chet Baker ( BMCD 484 )

1978820007_1999998680_faychet.JPG

claassen1.jpg

This album was made in remembrance of the 75th birthday of the late Chet Baker by the Dutch vocalist Fay Claassen. She made a series of concerts titled Fay Claassen sings Two Portraits of Chet Baker. In the first set she makes tribute to the early Gerry Mulligan – Chet Baker sessions by imitating Chet’s trumpet with her voice. In the second set she sings Chet’s vocals as he did at the end of his life – Chet on trumpet is played by Jan Wessels in a great way. This song, Walking Shoes, is of course from the first set. Jan Menu on baritone saxophone plays Gerry Mulligan part.

The second part of this tracklist of CD 2 will be published later !!

Survey | Keep swinging

Durium

KEEP SWINGING

CD two

to be continued ...

8. Deracinated Flower ( Toshiko Akiyoshi ) 7:31

Toshiko Akiyoshi: Toshiko Akiyoshi p, Jim Snidero as, Joe Magnarelli tp, George Mraz b, Lewis Nash dm. Recorded 15 – 16 October 1996 ( Toshiko Akiyoshi – Toshiko Plays Toshiko – Time Stream ( CRCJ-9137 ))

akiyoshi.jpg

In December 2001 Toshiko Akiyoshi played at a solo piano concert in the Porgy en Bess Jazz Club in Terneuzen ( The Netherlands). She fascinated me as a person and the way she played the piano. I remember she played several Bud Powell compositions on the piano and it learned me how great these compositions are.

akiyoshi%20auto.jpg

She talked about her meetings with Bud Powell at the end of his life. After the concert I visited her in her dressing room ( well – too much words for the living room above the club), where she received me and gave me her autograph. This tune, Deracinated Flower, is one of the tunes, with her group, I love to share with you..

Toshiko Akiyoshi

9. I’ll Remember April ( Gene DePaul – Patricia Johnston – Don Raye ) 6:28

Monty Alexander Trio: Monty Alexander p, Ray Brown b, Herb Ellis g, John Frigo v Recorded live at the Loa, Santa Monica (USA) June 1987( Concord Jazz CCD2-2122 ( orig. Triple Treat II CCD-4338)

B000060O0S.01._AA140_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

d7597519kre.jpg

It was remarkable that everybody wanted to label the violin player ( nobody could actually ) and nobody found out who was the piano player. Last year I was at a concert of the Alexander-Clayton-Hamilton trio , so it is not so difficult to understand why I chose a track of this great piano player. Monty Alexander made this recording with some great sidemen, and I didn't expect much trouble finding their names - but, as I mentioned before. I was wrong. Most suggestions were for the violin player: John Frigo, although started as a kid on violin, became known as a bass player in bands like Jimmy Dorsey's and later formed a group with Herb Ellis and Lou Carter. He became a sought after studio musician for jingles and commercials. In the 1980s he realized how he missed his first instrument, the violin. His performances with Monty Alexander and his trio impressed and were recorded on two Triple Treat recordings. This is from the first one. The bass player, like Jimmy Woode ( on CD one - track 12 ) is an institution itself, Ray Brown. Hope you like it.

John Frigo

10. Blue Hat ( ) 3:38

String Swing:Josephine Cronholm vo, Jacob Fischer g, Jacob Gurevitch g, August Engkilde b, Søren Siegumfeldt dir as, Rune Olesen dm. Recorded 2003. ( String Swing – Blue Hat (STUNT 04142))

2323906.jpg

String Swing is the third band featuring the great danish guitar player, Jacob Fischer. This band, that plays in a kind of mainstream hot club tradition has the sweet voiced Swedisah vocalist Josephine Cronholm. This band made a second CD titled Red Shoes. I heard this group in concert during a hot concert ( the temperature in Copenhagen raised to tropical levels) in the summer of 2005.

swing%20strings.jpg

String Swing

11. Amor Da Nada ( Valle) 4:26

Roditi-Ignatzek-Rassinfosse : Claudio Roditi tp flh vo, Klaus Ignatzek p, Jean-Louis Rassinfosse b. Recorded Brussels 4 May 2004 (Nagel Heyer – 2047)

light_in_the_dark.jpg

This album belongs to my favorites. These three skilled musicians, the Brazilian born Claudio Roditi, the German Klaus Ignatzek and the Belgian bass player Jean-Louis Rassinfosse belong to the top of European jazz. Claudio Roditi plays bebop-oriented jazz, Brazilian music and Afro-Cuban. In October 2004, I heard this trio in concert and I was astonished about the power of Roditi’s trumpet play. Also his ballads on flugelhorn were great. He isn’t really a singer, although now and then he treat the audience to a Brazilian song. This one is one of those great ballad played by Roditi on flugelhornAmor Da Nada. Hope you like it.

Roditi-Ignatzek-Rassinfosse trio

12. Ever After ( ) 6 :36

Jesse van Ruller Quintet: Jesse van Ruller g, Roy Hargrove flh, Karel Boehlee p, Frans van Geest b, Martijn Vink dm) Recorded July 2000. ( Catch – Jesse van Ruller ( Blue Music BM1004))

jvr10118.jpg

Jesse van Ruller is one of the jazz guitar players that are known outside the Netherlands. In 1995 he won the important Thelonious Monk Award, and leading jazz guitar players like Pat Metheny , John Scofield and Jim Hall spoke highly of his guitar play. He is a regular guest in the Porgy en Bess Jazz club in Terneuzen and was Artist in residence last season. He leads his own groups, like this extended Quartet, he is part of the Jazz Orchestra of the Concertgebouw and plays in duo with Maarten van der Grinten in Van Der & Van . The special guest on this record is, again, Roy Hargrove, who is to be found on two tracks in this collection. In a 1990s CD, titled The Young Dutch Jazz Cats Jesse Van Ruller is one of those Young Dutch Jazz Cats; Roy is one of the so-called Young Lions, a title to label the young avant garde in jazz music of the 1990s. The term was first used in a novel of Irwin Shaw, an used on a 1960 VeeJay recording of a Lee Morgan Septet. I think most of you have heard about Roy Hargrove and his career. Since the early 1990s Roy is a regular musician to visit of the Netherlands and its festivals ( North Sea Jazz Festival), but each time he visits The Netherlands, he will come to our little club and play in this small venue for no more then a few hundred listeners. As he said in an interview: Here I feel being at home - I feel the same spirit as in my home town. Each concert, it doesn’t matter if he is plays with his quartet, with the Afro-Cuban Crisol or the R.H. Faktor is an unforgettable event. As I mentioned before: In April the club will celebrate its 50th anniversary and of course, Roy will be there giving a concert. For me Roy is the best trumpet player there is, a genius on the flugelhorn and a pure jazz musician.

Jesse van Ruller homepage | Roy Hargrove

13. Improvisation For Two Unaccompanied Saxophones ( Al Cohn – Zoot Sims ) 2:26

Al Cohn ts – Zoot Sims ts Recorded 1960. ( The Al Cohn-Zoot Sims Quintet – You ‘n Me (Mercury EJD-3041 ))

youandme.JPG

Both Al Cohn and Zoot Sims were traced, but the title seemed to be pretty difficult to find, although I suggested that the title of this Improvsation for Two Unaccompanied Saxophones should surprise you.

This LP was one of the first record in my collection long ago. The last track on that record fascinated me – these two skilled saxophone players in duo. I played it each day as a kind of ceremony. I sold all my LPs ( I guess I was not fully accountable for my actions during that short period in my life ! :crazy: ), this one too. Although the tune was out of sight it was not out of mind. I found a reissue of this album on a Japanese release. I love to share it with you.

14. I’ll© You Again ( Noël Coward ) 2:50

The Van Der Grinten / Herman Quartet: Benjamin Herman c melody sax, Maarten van der Grinten g, uk, Jos Machtel tu b tb, Henk Zomer dm Recorded 10 and 11 October 1994. ( The Van Der Grinten / Herman Quartet - Psychodixie for C Melody Saxophone (A Records AL 73005 )

herman.jpg

The idea for this cd was born in a plane up in the Iberian skies. Benjamin Herman , also on the first CD - track 5 ) wanted to make a CD around the C Melody saxophone – each title of this album should have the sound “cee “ in it. On their way back to the Netherlands the flight was long enough to make a long list of tunes: We © - Nan© With The Laughing Face - ©led With a Kiss. ................. and so on.

This tune, “I’ll © You Again “ has the subtitle “A Musical Therapy Session by a Psychotic Dixieland Band”. Hope you don't need that after listening to my selections of tunes I'd love to share with you - tunes played by musicians that have fascinated me in the past and Keeps me Swinging .....

Thanks for your contributions ! Hope you liked it - I did ! :crazy:

BTW: I have attached a word document with a cover to be used as an inlay in a 2CD box if you like. The only thing you have to do is cut and fold and being a bit creative.

Survey | Keep swinging

Durium

Edited by Durium

Thank you Durium, for the introduction to Oscar Aleman. I'll be having a look at your work on him and probably buying some in due course. What a charming musician!

And also for the reminders of Svend Assmussen. I remember his many appearances on British TV in the sixties and seventies. Not only a good musician but a very funny man, with a deadpan sense of humour. I didn't realise he was still around! Wonderful!

MG