Gigs in your town

Soul Stream

Maybe it's just me. But I find the gig scene is the worst I've experienced. I was curious as to what other musicians are experiencing in other towns across the country.

Maybe I'm just disheartened. But, I've not experienced this kind of apathetic scene before. Not only that, but it seems that people just don't want to hear the kind of music I'm playing. I actually had a lady screaming at me last week during the set..."Can't you play anything but organ music?!!! That's why this place is empty because of this organ music!!!!" She was downright pissed. In many ways she's right. There's no audience for what I do. That club has a very happening HH scene, I play there every thurs, and it's just dismal. I work for a percentage of the bar plus tips on that gig. It used to come out to about $100 a piece for a trio. Now I leave with around $20 after paying the other guys $50. Needless to say, I can't really keep doing this unless something changes for the better.

It's getting really bad. The other musicians down here seem to feel the same for the most part. Haven't seen it this bad.

How's it where you are?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been hard to get gigs, but the ones we've been getting have been paying decently. I'm sorry to hear about your woes, Mike. I feel for you.

I was talking with Ron Blake on the phone tonight and he was lamenting that it's going to get worse before it gets better. The economy sucks, people aren't spending money or going out, and the arts suffer. I just heard on the radio today that we're adding another half a trillion dollars to the national debt (thanks Bush!) which will dampen people's spirits even more. It's crazy.

I feel lucky that I'm booked every weekend here, but most of my work isn't with the trio, it's with the R&B band that plays more popular music. When things are bad, playing in a blues band is pretty good... people wanna hear the blues.

That club has a very happening HH scene, I play there every thurs, and it's just dismal.

What's "HH scene" refer to?? I should probably know, but nothin's ringing a bell.

Also, what city are you in, Soul Stream?? -- if you don't mind me asking.

I'm not a musician, but from what I gather in talking with a few others, I think there's a bit of a similar thing going on here in Kansas City. The clubs I go to on non-Friday or non-Saturday nights are often fairly dead (at least for the first hour or two), and the number of quality clubs that are open in Kansas City has gone down in the last 4 or 5 years.

Free-For-All -- what's your take on this?? You're closer to the scene here in KC than I am.

One thing I have been experiencing lately that's pissed me off is lame audiences, like Soul Stream is complaining about. But I'm not talking about the trio. I'm talking about the audiences we get with the R&B band.

Man, this weekend we were smoking. Our lead singer just got diagnosed with mild diabetes, which is horrible, but it's also a blessing because now he can't drink himself into the ground on the gig. Man, when he's sober he sounds fuckin' great and actually gave me shivers a few times this weekend.

So anyway, we played our asses off. I had more fun with that band than I've had in a long time. And we filled the dance floor the whole time. But the annoying thing was, whenever the song got done, all those people on the dance floor would just leave. No applause, no cheers, nothing.

It's like we're a fuckin' CD or something!

"HELLO! WE'RE LIVE MUSICIANS UP HERE! SOME RECIPRICATION PLEASE!!"

I guess people are too tied up in their own worlds.

Hey Rooster, HH is just short for Happy Hour. Sorry for the shorthand. I live in Austin, Texas. A pretty active music town where pay is generally lower than sister cities like Dallas or San Antonio or Houston because of so many musicians. However, that's nothing new...it's just the economy seems to be tanking so bad, I thing musicians maybe feel it first. I'm feeling it. And so are a lot of the guys I work with. I'm amazed at how open most of these guys schedules are. These are the musicians who used to gig 5 to 7 nights a week! Usually with a couple days that included 2 gigs in a single day!!

Anyway, thanks Jim. I'm glad things are still going good up there. It's a shame the trio isn't working more. That's a waste. Ya'll are so damn good and TIGHT!!!! I guess I don't feel so bad then.

...also, Jim I feel your pain!!! I don't know what's going on, but I feel a real "disconnect" with the audience these days. Something I haven't felt until maybe the last year or so. Not to dump on all audiences, some are good, some are bad. But in general, I get the feeling I'm competing with HBO or a rental DVD more and more...and the audience feels they've made the wrong entertainment decision. :huh:

Edited by Soul Stream

I was just talking about this very thing w/someone recently. Regardless (or should I say "irregardless", I love that word) of who's been in office, my gigging situation over the years has remained fairly consistent. Democrat or Republican, it hasn't really mattered, the work was there. This is the first time I've see work dry up up to the point of seeing everyone getting REALLY nervous. Now, in light of recent board events I am not in the least interested in turning this into a political thread, but the bottom line is that the crappy economy is really affecting musicians at last. I've talked to guys in NY and Chicago and it's sucking EVERYWHERE. Plus I believe that advancements in home entertainment are keeping people from going out as much. The upside is that I think that this is just a downside of a cycle that will improve eventually, I hope.......... <_<

Hey Soul Stream-

I lived in Austin for much of the eighties. At that time it was a great music town, but a mediocre jazz town. How is it these days? More jazz clubs? is the Elephant Club still around? I sure played a lot of salsa gigs- are Beto Y Los Fairlanes still playing around? Mitch Watkins? How long have you been there?

So many questions...........

This is the first time I've see work dry up up to the point of seeing everyone getting REALLY nervous.  I've talked to guys in NY and Chicago and it's sucking EVERYWHERE.

Count me in as one of those guys getting "REALLY" nervous! I'm not sure I'll make it to the end of the year without having to change my life up quite a bit.

....Yes Free For All. I've been in town off and on for about 6 years with a couple years in Boston in between. It's still probably about the same as when you were here, but more Starbucks and less people interested in music ;) . The Elephant Room is still here. Mitch Watkins I think is still around, but I don't see him playing or hear his name mentioned much right now so I'm not sure exactly what he's up to. Martin Banks is still here and I play gigs with him occassionally, but he doesn't gig that much these days. Being an organist, I'm kind of caught in between the blues and jazz worlds, so I may not be up on what's going on as much as someone who is a straight ahead jazz player. Still a lot of great players around(Ephraim Owens, Brannen Temple, Phillipe Vieux are some of the jazz players I play with who are some of the bigger names these days around town). Wish you were still here, there's never enough trombonists (or drummers)!!! :D

Edited by Soul Stream

Count me in as one of those guys getting "REALLY" nervous!  I'm not sure I'll make it to the end of the year without having to change my life up quite a bit.

Right now I'm glad I don't depend totally on gigs to make a living- I'm also teaching and doing some writing projects which allow me to be fairly choosy about gigs, although I'm doing more TUX/BUX/SUX gigs than in the recent past. And am grateful for them. <_<

I thought I would have to change my life this winter. I was dying! My wife was very gently but firmly pushing me to get a day job. I applied for a couple, including with the post office. Luckily nothing came from them because since summer started, I've been busier than hell!

Hopefully this dry spell will break soon, Soul Stream.

Soul Stream said:

I actually had a lady screaming at me last week during the set..."Can't you play anything but organ music?!!! That's why this place is empty because of this organ music!!!!"

Looks like you might have to learn some Korn or Limp Bizkit songs Soul Stream, just remember to abolish any kind of musical talent you have and you'll be getting gigs with the kids left and right.

I thought I would have to change my life this winter. I was dying! My wife was very gently but firmly pushing me to get a day job. I applied for a couple, including with the post office. Luckily nothing came from them because since summer started, I've been busier than hell!

Hopefully this dry spell will break soon, Soul Stream.

I'm glad you dodged the bullet Jim! ;)

I guess the part that's bumming me out more than anything, is trying to get this music across to people. As much as I love jazz organ, I'm doubfounded that people generally don't respond to it the same way I do. Granted, I'm not the world's greatest organist by any means. But, I feel that without anything less than a singer, it's not going to go over. Some of my gigs with horns and a funkier set list go over much better, but even then it's hard to grab the average person it seems for 90 minutes.

When I talked to Neil Sugarman earier this year, he told me the Sugarman 3 were have a MUCH, MUCH easier time now that the singer Lee Fields is on tour with them full time. He said they used to have a hell of a time getting over on pure instrumentals at a lot of places on the road.

Soul Stream said:

I actually had a lady screaming at me last week during the set..."Can't you play anything but organ music?!!! That's why this place is empty because of this organ music!!!!"

Looks like you might have to learn some Korn or Limp Bizkit songs Soul Stream, just remember to abolish any kind of musical talent you have and you'll be getting gigs with the kids left and right.

The most profitible year I ever had in music was my FIRST year doing it full time!!!! Isn't that crazy? Unlike most other jobs, sometimes the more you learn...the worse off you are financially. As soon as the "J" word gets into your vocabulary forget it! Damn you Blue Note for turning me onto jazz and ruining my chance to make money! :o:D

It's real slow here too. The corporate gigs are drying up, and the club scene is withering in the vine. There's still weddings, but the increased competition is driving prices down, and since there's always the fools who think that undercutting everybody else by a dramatic margin is good business, THAT scene is nowhere near as profitable or as prolific as it once was.

The economy has been sucking, and audiences just don't seem to value live music the way they once did. I think they're sated - between the Internet and the various forms of digital TV, music-on-demand 24-7 has become a fact of life. And don't get me going on Karaoke. I certainly can appreciate the fun factor, but there's an element of vanity (or something) involved, when people would consistently hear mediocrity (or worse) becasue they somehow think it's more "real". And clubs eat that stuff up. Why should they pay somebody to entertain the clientele when the clientele is willing to pay the club for the privilige of entertaining themselves?

I shoulda stayed on the chitlin' circuit - the economy's hardly ever a factor there, plus you make more playing for $40 a night 3 or 4 nights a week every week than you do playing for $150-$200 2 or 3 times a month (as compared to pre 9-11, when I was doing it 6-7 times a month, the only reason for playing in some of those lame cover/party bands), and the music's almost always better.

To make matters worse (worst), the Dallas Creative Music Alliance has been homless for the last 6 months or so. We finally found a venue, a good one at that, so the musical claustrophobia will soon be relieved.

These aren't even remotely good times, but this ain't a business for the faint of heart or those with a need for stability. It ain't over until you quit, and better times WILL return sooner or later. Best to hunker down and stick it out by any means necessary until they do, I say.

But I'm not a sane man. :rfr:rfr:rfr

Jim, et al:

It's my fervent hope that little by little we can spread the gospel to change this around. Maybe it's a pipe dream, but to take your wedding example: I have a lot of friends who know I love music--so they often ask me for advice re who to use for their weddings. When I got married in Seattle, we engaged a nonet. We had a choice between about three bands; two were fairly close in price, one was, as you said, severely undercutting the competition. Talking to the two expensive bands, one of which was fronted by a bass player, I asked about similar repertoire, starting with the question, "can you guys play "Better Get (H)it in your Soul?" The bass-playing leader of one nonet said, "can we play it? I can do you one better. Bob Hammer (Mingus' erstwhile pianist and bass player!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) is in our group, and he'll bring the original lead sheets." The other leader didn't know what I was talking about.

Can you guess which one we used, gladly, regardless of the price?

They worked their way through Mingus, trane, Miles, Prima, Miller, you name it; and nary a "YMCA" in the set.

Now I know I may not be the typical "jazz band" consumer, what with my interest in keeping this music alive. But you know what? Three years later I still have people calling me and asking, "the band you had that played all that old jazz--do you have a contact number?"

Thought I'd toss out the "ottimista" viewpoint...

PJ

Wish you were still here, there's never enough trombonists (or drummers)!!! :D

I don't know, sometimes one trombonist is one too many.

I remember Brannen Temple. He still playing his ass off?

Yes! Brannen is still killin'. I get the pleasure of playing with him 2 or 3 times a month and it's always a blast.

Hey, don't badmouth trombonists...I named my son after Curtis Fuller!!! :tup:D

These aren't even remotely good times, but this ain't a business for the faint of heart or those with a need for stability. It ain't over until you quit, and better times WILL return sooner or later. Best to hunker down and stick it out by any means necessary until they do, I say.

But I'm not a sane man. :rfr:rfr:rfr

That's kind of always been my battle cry as well Jim. Do everything but give up, that's how you stay in the music game...by sheer stubborness that you WILL NOT QUIT...no matter what reality tells you! :D

Hey, don't badmouth trombonists...I named my son after Curtis Fuller!!! :tup  :D

"Curtis Stream", huh? It does flow nicely.

"Hunker down" is all you CAN do- I don't think I could do anything else with my life, so I'll just keep pluggin' away whether or not things get better. I think the "hunkering down" part is where you learn a lot about your priorities. And where you learn to play the blues better. B)

I live in Northern New Jersey - near Manhattan. the scene here is the worst I've experienced and getting worse. Bar gigs are in short supply and a steady bar gig has virtually disappeared - everything is a one nighter. In some joints you may get one or two nights a month but that's about it. I'm a sideman - I just work when the phone rings and since 1990 I have a day gig (after 25 years full time) - but the bandleaders have to hump like crazy to get ONE lousy night!

The Club Date scene (Weddings, etc) has gone primarily Disk Jockey. Some set bands are working but the freelance aspect has drastically delclined. Some occasional gigs , but not many. As a contrast - in the 80s I was working weeknights in bars and on weekends doing 3 or 4 clubdates on Saturday and Sunday. Decent "for real" studio work dried up in the early 80s - for the most part.

I live in Northern New Jersey - near Manhattan. the scene here is the worst I've experienced and getting worse. Bar gigs are in short supply and a steady bar gig has virtually disappeared - everything is a one nighter. In some joints you may get one or two nights a month but that's about it. I'm a sideman - I just work when the phone rings and since 1990 I have a day gig (after 25 years full time) - but the bandleaders have to hump like crazy to get ONE lousy night!

The Club Date scene (Weddings, etc) has gone primarily Disk Jockey. Some set bands are working but the freelance aspect has drastically delclined. Some occasional gigs , but not many. As a contrast - in the 80s I was working weeknights in bars and on weekends doing 3 or 4 clubdates on Saturday and Sunday. Decent "for real" studio work dried up in the early 80s - for the most part.

On a similar note. I heard someone talking about a GREAT R&B oldies-type show they attended recently. The kind that used to have a pretty large backup band with a horn section, ect...lot's of work for the guys. Turns out, everybody performed to pre-recored music. The worst part, the crowd made up of mostly younger people didn't even notice or care that "real" musicians weren't used. These promoters are making money off the ignorance of the younger generation. The folks are paying the ticket price to afford a live band, but since they don't know shit, are getting ripped off by a pre-recorded bullshit affair. Ignorance is bliss.