Traveling to Vietnam

I'm (finally) taking a vacation, and am heading to Vietnam in about three weeks (with a stop to see friends in Hong Kong on the way).

Has anyone spent time traveling around the Sapa and the Halong Bay areas? I'll have about ten days in northern Vietnam (flying in and out of Hanoi) and have narrowed my trekking down to these areas. I'd particularly enjoy any suggestions of off the beaten path places to go.

Thanks.

I've been to Vietnam three times but the last was in 1986, so I don't know how helpful I might be.

Halong Bay is a must-see. You will drive part of the way by car and you will have to go on at least two ferries. It's friggin' out of the way. I think you get on the first ferry in Haiphong, which was heavily targetted by US bombers during the war.

The hotel I stayed in was crap. It was an old French thing where the infrastructure had declined and was not maintained. We didn't even have running water. I hope the hotels have improved since then, and I'm sure they have.

In Hanoi, visit Ho Chi Minh's tomb and his "house and grounds." There are a few museums there as well. You can see the memorial of McCain which stands by the lake where he fighter/bomber plane was shot down.

In the South, I liked going to Bien Hoa, where the US used to have a base. You can visit the towns along the Mekhong Delta. I never went to Dalat, but it's supposed to be a pretty place.

Hue would be awesome to see. Somehow I missed going there during my three trips.

Saigon is fascinating, much more so than Hanoi. I'd spend some serious time there.

Hope that helps!

I have been twice, once in 1996 cycling from Ho Chi Minh to Hue, then by train to Hanoi.

The second time was Christmas 2005. I went to Halong Bay both times.

We just went to Halong for day trips each time so I can't tell you much about what to do in town or in the area.

I know that you could arrange to do an overnight cruise on the bay.

The toursim industry is huge now and very competitive, especaily so for Halong Bay trips.

Prices are cheap but be careful - you often get what you pay for.

My very good friend grew up in Northern Vietnam and is home visiting her family right now. She gets back next weekend. If you like, I can ask if she'd be interested in posting a reply. I think she'd probably be happy to do it.

PS: She timed her return so as not to miss Cecil Taylor play J@LC.

Edited by J Larsen

That would be great, J Larsen--if she has the time, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!

My very good friend grew up in Northern Vietnam and is home visiting her family right now. She gets back next weekend. If you like, I can ask if she'd be interested in posting a reply. I think she'd probably be happy to do it.

PS: She timed her return so as not to miss Cecil Taylor play J@LC.