LPs to Computer

Quasimado

Musicmatch does a great job of recording analog sound onto the hard-drive. You connect your source to the line-in jack on the computer.

The sound coming in has to be at "line" level, so if you are using a turntable or mike, you need to connect a little pre-amp between the source and the computer. Also, you need to run a ground wire from the source to the computer case, to get rid of hum.

It works for me, though it is time-consuming and I don't often do it now. The results sound great, whether in WAV or MP3 format.

I'll fourth it!

It was Chuck who put me onto it last year. Cheapish, easy to use & sounds fine - what more do you need?

I'll fifth it. Twas Chuck who put me onto it too (big thank you, Chuck :tup )... The name is Xitel Inport... and it'd be interesting to see how many of us got it because of Chuck.

F

I haven't used the Import. For those interested in a somewhat different approach my setup includes 1) A standard turntable, 2) a phono preamp (I use an Adcom that was connected to one of my home stereo setups), and 3) The M-Audio audiophile 2496 digital audio card which sells for around $100 on Amazon. It looks like this:

audiophile2496.jpg

It connects to any available serial port on your computer's motherboard so it does require you to open the case of your computer but that only takes a few minutes. Then you simply connect your phono preamp to the audiophile 2496 using standard stereo interconnect cables.

In addition you will need a digital audio editing software. I use Goldwave (available only via their website for around $55 US) but other packages are out there that can do the job including Audacity which is free-ware.

I have found the results to be very nice indeed and far superior to simply using your standard on-board computer soundcard which I regard as low-fi at best.

Don

I'll fourth it!

It was Chuck who put me onto it last year. Cheapish, easy to use & sounds fine - what more do you need?

I'll fifth it. Twas Chuck who put me onto it too (big thank you, Chuck :tup )... The name is Xitel Inport... and it'd be interesting to see how many of us got it because of Chuck.

F

I haven't used the Import. For those interested in a somewhat different approach my setup includes 1) A standard turntable, 2) a phono preamp (I use an Adcom that was connected to one of my home stereo setups), and 3) The M-Audio audiophile 2496 digital audio card which sells for around $100 on Amazon. It looks like this:

audiophile2496.jpg

It connects to any available serial port on your computer's motherboard so it does require you to open the case of your computer but that only takes a few minutes. Then you simply connect your phono preamp to the audiophile 2496 using standard stereo interconnect cables.

In addition you will need a digital audio editing software. I use Goldwave (available only via their website for around $55 US) but other packages are out there that can do the job including Audacity which is free-ware.

I have found the results to be very nice indeed and far superior to simply using your standard on-board computer soundcard which I regard as low-fi at best.

Don

I'll fourth it!

F

I find the M-Audio intriguing too.. they go for about 60-70 used on ebay now and again.

Depending on what you need, (I am also looking at dumping guitar tracks into the computer), it could be a viable option.

g

audiophile2496.jpg

Don

I use a similar approach, except that the sound card I use, the Emagic Audiowerks 2, is apparently no longer in production. The Emagic fits in a pci slot and has RCA jacks, stereo analogue in and out plus digital in and out. My computer stays connected to my hifi as if it were a tape recorder. The downside is that the computer needs to be near enough to the hifi for this connection and you do need some sort of editing software. The upside is that these cards are indeed audibly superior to what comes with your computer, you can record any signal that passes through your hifi such as your tuner, any tape decks, vcr's, cd players, and the editing software generally precludes the concerns some people express about things like markers and gaps between tracks, sound levels, clicks and noise, etc.

• 7 months later...