Mingus: Passions of a Man: Complete Atlantic Recordings 1956-61

6 cds

the box; I don't think I ever played any of the CDs; will ship for $50 domestic; prefer paypal; email me at alowe@maine.rr.com - which is also my paypal address

and did I mention they are in MINT condition? (they kind of look like old mints left on a sidewalk on a hot day) -

Edited by AllenLowe

I don't think I ever played any of the CDs;

Allen, what's THAT all about? Hope it's only because you have remastered individual CD's of all the sessions and wanted this to read the book, or something. Some of the greatest music in the history of the planet is in this box! :tup

1) well, let's be truthful - big confession here - I've gotten so burned out listening to jazz that I almost never listen to it anymore -

2) in my youth I listened to these Mingus sessions over and over and over (paritcularly Blues and Roots) - loved them, still think of them with affection -

3) I've gotten bored with jazz in general (see #1) and, much as I love the music, I just listen to things that sound to me as musicians doing radical new things, whether it be "new music" or old hillbilly recordings; will still listen to dead old friends of mine (Haig, Schildkraut, Dickey Wells, Hemphill, Carisi) though that gets harder and harder to do (I call it the Miss Havisham syndrome) -

4) I like really oddball things, electronic music, Marnie Stern, Big Black, old religious things, Mike Bloomfield, Dudu Pukwana - I crave novelty. Have listened to too much music in my life and so now have to pick and choose in order to stay awake, interested, and unjaded -

5) I am starting to play and compose and record again, and my time is tight, so I have to prioritize -

not that jazz is not important to me, but I've listened to so much for so long that it's forever inside my head -

Edited by AllenLowe