Who here saw Coltrane perfom live?

Soul Stream

Several people have mentioned how shocked they were because Trane had moved on from what they had heard on the last released album.

I'm very interested in the history of album releases. Most discographies just tell you when they were recorded. It seems to me that the impact recordings have is based more on when they were released since only a relatively few listeners get to see the musicians live. (And in some cases-- e.g Miles in the late 50s-- the live performances don't always reflect the recordings. I've been trying to make a list of the release dates of Miles' 50 recordings but so far have had to do a lot of guess work based on when they were reviewed.)

Guest youmustbe

I heard Trane many times....I remember Sep 65 at the Gate a white guy at a table next to the bandstand right below Trane getting up and shaking his fist at Trane as Trane soloed.

One of my favorite stories, you got to wait for my book, is when he was in Seattle, when the recording took place, the owner of the club left as the first set began, to go the fights...when he came back after the fights the band was still on stage playing, so he asked the club manager what set is this and the club manager replied 'Oh, it;s still the first!'

I saw him in July, 1963, at Birdland - 3 long numbers: Afro-Blue, I Want to Talk About You, and can't remember the third... (Pretty much the same stuff as the album, recorded there several months later.) The other part of the bill was Terry Gibbs, and Alice McLeod was the pianist. I think this was where Coltrane met her.

I heard him perform on several occasions and have to admit that there were times when I wished he'd shorten his solos somewhat. Nothing in the way of stories to tell, except that I once introduced him at the Five Spot (1964) and there was no sign of him. I killed some time with silly, nervous chatter,but he still did not show. I asked my co-MC, Mort Fega, to check the men's room and asked the audience to bear with me while I looked outside. They laughed, I exited and all went well when I found him down the street, brought him back, and performed a brief reintroduction.

VillageVoiceApril231964bbs.jpg

Edited by Christiern

I heard him perform on several occasions and have to admit that there were times when I wished he'd shorten his solos somewhat. Nothing in the way of stories to tell, except that I once introduced him at the Five Spot (1964) and there was no sign of him. I killed some time with silly, nervous chatter,but he still did not show. I asked my co-MC, Mort Fega, to check the men's room and asked the audience to bear with me while I looked outside. They laughed, I exited and all went well when I found him down the street, brought him back, and performed a brief reintroduction.

So, what was he doing, down the street?