R.I.P. Carla White

Ken Dryden

I was saddened to learn that jazz vocalist Carla White died yesterday in New York City after a long battle with cancer. Carla was a talented singer who recorded eight albums under her name. Her debut recording for Stash, Andruline, was jointly led with Manny Duran; her last release was A Voice in the Night. Her frequent musical collaborators included Peter Madsen, Dean Johnson, Matt Wilson and a good friend, Lew Tabackin, who would often make a guest appearance on a few numbers.

A memorial service is scheduled for St. Peter's Church (Lexington at 53rd St.) in Manhattan on June 8th at 5 pm.

I was saddened to learn that jazz vocalist Carla White died yesterday in New York City after a long battle with cancer. Carla was a talented singer who recorded eight albums under her name. Her debut recording for Stash, Andruline, was jointly led with Manny Duran; her last release was A Voice in the Night. Her frequent musical collaborators included Peter Madsen, Dean Johnson, Matt Wilson and a good friend, Lew Tabackin, who would often make a guest appearance on a few numbers.

A memorial service is scheduled for St. Peter's Church (Lexington at 53rd St.) in Manhattan on June 8th at 5 pm.

Really sad, I discovered Carla's music with a cd "At Vartan jazz" she was talented, but most of all honest, no pretence singer, one can hear how much she loved what she was doing.

Sad, sad,sad.

That's terrible news and explains why I haven't heard of her in a while. I contacted her a few years ago for discographical questions and she was very friendly and concerned and answered all my questions. I have all of her recordings - she was by far my favourite jazz singer and never received the recognition she really deserved. I'm devastated.

R.I.P. Carla - your voice will always ring loud and clear in my days and nights.

Edited by mikeweil

Carla was a good friend, we met back in 1990 at the JazzTimes Convention in New Orleans and we kept in touch. Our last time to hang out together was during a quick trip to New York City last fall, she was always a delightful person to spend time chatting with over lunch.

I finally tracked down her long out of print debut LP, Andruline, a few years ago and always looked forward to reviewing her latest release.

She will be missed.

I wonder who will handle the CD orders coming in now: She handled those coming over Jazz Corner /Jazzcares herself, and CD Baby will have only limited stock. It took her five years each to get the last two out, considering their musical quality it's a shame she had no other choice but found her own label to release the last one. She was so comittted to her music.

• 17 years later...

Just to add that all the links I posted will not work anymore. Her own website hosted by JazzCorner was soon deactivated, and CD Baby no longer has a webshop. You can find her CDs as used copies on discogs, of course. Too bad.