Warner Jazz Masters Series ??

tcd74

Hello all I noticed the following titles coming out in June on the Warner Jazz Masters Series ....

Ornette Coleman: free jazz

Bill Evans: new conversations

Herbie Hancock: mwandishi

Milt Jackson and John Coltrane: bags & tranes

Keith Jarrett: El Juicio

Keith Jarrett: somewhere before

Roland Kirk: Inflated tear

Modern jazz quartet: pyramid

Jaco Pastorius: invitation

Flora Purim: carry on

As an avid collection of the RVG series, the Connoisseurs, and now the Keepnews collection are these of the same quality ? are there other titles in the series ?? Any information would be much appreciated.

Todd

Hi Todd

Welcome to the forum.

The answer on your question depends on what your opinion on the quality of these other series is ;)

Most of these Warner titles have already been reissued in remastered editions (some apparantly only in Europe) in the "Atlantic Original Sound" series (digipaks).

My impression of many titles was that there is little or no sonic improvement. They sounded as if the existing digital transfers of the analog tapes had been used and only a bit of "smiley face" EQ applied (more pronounced bass and treble). As usual with new reissues, the volume is also higher.

It could also be that the existing tapes don't allow for better transfers, as mayn of the original Atlantic tapes had been destroyed in a warehouse fire in the 70's.

So I would recommend sampling one or two titles and check yourself if the upgrade is worth it.