I'm getting shocked!

scottb

When I record myself playing amplified harmonica, I am playing through a Shure Green Bullet into a Kalamazoo Model 2 amp which is in turn mic'd with a Shure SM 57 running through a Sonus TUBEPre preamp into my soundcard.

If I reachdown to reposition the SM 57 with the green bullet in my hand... Yeeeoow!!! I get shocked?

Is this a known hazard or does it indicate something wrong with my system such as something not grounded well?

If you played guitar you'd know not to touch the strings and a mic at the same time.

But since you're recording into your computer, I would check to make sure the phantom power isn't on (on the tube preamp).

I used to get shocked by touching anything metal on my B3 and a vocal mic (right on the lips.... OUCH!)

I have a fender champ that someone was brilliant enough to cut the grounding prong off of (this has since been recitified). Once while playing I reached over to hit a button on my aluminum-cased mac, which was plugged into the same line. Do I need to explain what happened next?

(BTW, Apple was scared shitless when I called them about this...)

When I record myself playing amplified harmonica, I am playing through a Shure Green Bullet into a Kalamazoo Model 2 amp which is in turn mic'd with a Shure SM 57 running through a Sonus TUBEPre preamp into my soundcard.

If I reachdown to reposition the SM 57 with the green bullet in my hand... Yeeeoow!!! I get shocked?

Is this a known hazard or does it indicate something wrong with my system such as something not grounded well?

Does that vintage amp have three or two prongs? If only two, I would take it to a tech and have that baby grounded. Ungrounded amps can kill.

Does that vintage amp have three or two prongs? If only two, I would take it to a tech and have that baby grounded. Ungrounded amps can kill.

Only two. I was thinking that may be the problem.

Well I was up until about 2 am last night putting in a three prong power cord. The internet never ceases to amaze me. There was actually a website devoted to that model Kalamazoo amp and a section on modifications which walked me right through.

Any volunteers to check and see if this fixed the problem? :D

Well I was up until about 2 am last night putting in a three prong power cord. The internet never ceases to amaze me. There was actually a website devoted to that model Kalamazoo amp and a section on modifications which walked me right through.

Any volunteers to check and see if this fixed the problem? :D

I have a feeling Chuck wants to...

:P