Sonny Rollins Question

king ubu

I recently found that CD in a used-music store.

The Tracks are:

I REMEMBER YOU

I'VE TOLD EVERY LITTLE STAR

OLEO

WILL YOU STILLL BE MINE

IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU

Rollins, ts; Henry Grimes, b; Pete La Roca, d. Zurich, March 5, 1959

SONNYMOON FOR TWO

Rollins, ts; Kenny Drew, p; NHOP, b; Albert Heath, d.

Is this accurate? I think there are no official recordings by Rollins from early 1959?

The following Rollins-link gives a Stockholm session for March 5, http://www.jazzdisco.org/newk-dis/. However, the tracks & CD-release are identiacl to what I have.

Was this recorded in Stockholm or in Zurich?

ubu

I don't know about the '59 locations, but "Sonnymoon For Two" is from Cafe Montmartre in '68, and was also issued by Moon on SONNY Rollins IN DENMARK 2.

The '59 makes a perfect compliment to the Dragon disc and the AIX EN PROVINCE thing on Royal Jazz (a particular favorite of mine). It's Sonny after the CONTEMPORARY LEADERS album (his last "official" pre-hiatus album), literally just before he headed home to chill out and shed. It's fascinating stuff for me - you can often hear the germination of some of the things he's be working on and bringing to the fore in the '60s. Besides, trio Sonny is so often the best Sonny, at least in those days.

The Denmark stuff, if you've not yet heard it,, is nothing short of phenominal. Again, Sonny had already recorded his last "official" album before a hiatus (in this instance, EAST BROADWAY RUNDOWN), and was ready to chill out for a while. THIS music catches him seeming to make peace with his bop/hardbop beginnings and his more exploratory '60s bent. He seems to be saying "whatever will be, will be", and just stretches out and PLAYS. 40+ minute versions of "Four" and "Three Little Words" higlight these discs, and when I tell you that those lenghty cuts are nearly all Rollins soloing or trading fours with Heath, I am not exagerrating, as I am not when I tell you that his imagination and inspiration are at their very highest peak. These are major, MAJOR documents, and should be snapped up on sight by anybody who so much as gets even a glimpse of them out of the corner of their eye.

Mike Fitz's Grimes discog will have the final word on this: link

Thanks, David. Know that site (of course), but forgot checking there -_-

It gives Zurich as the place, and Swiss Radio as producer.

Jim: thanks for your insights! I always appreciate very much what you have to say about Rollins! I heard neither more of the march 59 stuff nor anything of the later. Will sure keep my eyes open for ANYTHING live by Rollins!

ubu

Following the link posted by Ayers the discography reads:

Date: March 5, 1959

Label: (radio broadcast)

ldr - Sonny Rollins; ts - Sonny Rollins; b - Henry Grimes; d - Pete LaRoca Sims

a. 01 I Remember You - 06:46  (Johnny Mercer, Victor Schertzinger)

b. 02 I've Told Every Little Star - 06:35  (Oscar Hammerstein II, Jerome Kern)

c. 03 Oleo - 03:16  (Sonny Rollins)

d. 04 Will You Still Be Mine - 04:15  (Tom Adair, Matt Dennis)

e. 05 It Could Happen To You - 03:27  (Jimmy Van Heusen, Johnny Burke)

All titles on: -     Jazz Hour CD: JHR 73552 - Oleo

-     Moon CD: MCD 015 - Sonnymoon For Two (1990)

DRS radio broadcast.