Monktail Presents: Sounds Outside

Sounds Outside Concert series 2007

The Monktail Creative Music Concern, Earshot Jazz and the City of Seattle are inviting you to be a part of the 2007 Sounds Outside Concert Series.

Sounds Outside is a celebration of adventurous music and community that features local and national musical talent at Cal Anderson Park. Our performers include Wayne Horvitz, Skerik, the Degenerate Art Ensemble and Reptet as well as many others.

The series is scheduled over three Saturdays this summer --

June 2nd, July 14th and August 4th from 2–8pm.

The 2007 Sounds Outside Concert Series is building on last year’s success.

Last year Monktail partnered solely with the City of Seattle for this Series. The result was more than 800 people attended the Sounds Outside inaugural Concert. Our 2007 goal is to put the pieces in place to build a mainstay summer concert series on Capitol Hill.

we hope ya'll can make it!

Visit the Sounds Outside web site for more info.

Edited by Johnny E

I am on the leadership team that put this series together. If you are able, please attend. If you or your business would like to sponsor this event, please send an email to john@monktail.com.

thanks ya'll, it's gonna be fun!

-john

Airline tickets can be sent to 123 Tulgeywood Ln, Whitehall, MI 49461.

Thanks. :cool:

Great lineup, John--I should be able to make all 3 hits!

I'll check to see if my firm can/would be a sponsor, too.

Thanks Peter! :)

btw, that email I listed is not me. That's John Seman - also a Monktail member and leader. If you'd like to deal with me, just send me a PM and I'll send you my personal email address.

Thanks,

-john

sorry 2 burst your bubble but as far as outside sounds go, bill frisell kind of said the final word about that tonight/ he was extra crazier than usual- just him and chong vu and a violin player. they were just doing crazy noise improv it was completly out of control- it was okay but the whole time i was just thinking about how i don't have bantu village

sorry 2 burst your bubble but as far as outside sounds go, bill frisell kind of said the final word about that tonight/ he was extra crazier than usual- just him and chong vu and a violin player. they were just doing crazy noise improv it was completly out of control- it was okay but the whole time i was just thinking about how i don't have bantu village

Oh damn, I guess I better pack up my shit and go home then. :mellow:

Maybe if I think hard enough I can come up with the first word on something else. :excited:

Pictures from saturday's concert...

It was sunny 80 degree day in Seattle. Estimates were that we had about 1000 people attended the event over the course of the day. Whne the headliner performed (The Degenrate Art Ensemble) I'd say there was between 200-300. I hope all my Orga board firends can come out to next months show, pictures below.

sunship.jpg

Stewart Demster's Sunship

Paintings by Cait Willis

Edited by Johnny E

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Score

Column by Christopher DeLaurenti

The Stranger - 7.12.07

Sounds Outside

In American Music in the Twentieth Century (Schirmer Books), composer and critic Kyle Gann asserts that "a creative culture is a triangle requiring three points: individual artists, a tradition to work within and against, and a public with an adequate amount of disposable attention." Gann's triangle should also include low-cost, innovative venues that reach out beyond that small, stalwart public who frequents obscure, out-of-the-way clubs.

The Monktail Creative Music Concern's Sounds Outside concert series is a perfect example. Its central location—Cal Anderson Park on Capitol Hill—as well as all-points access, and price (free), abet the serendipitous, just stumbled-upon-it discovery so essential to acquainting everyone with the avant.

I enjoyed the first of this three-concert series—featuring Degenerate Art Ensemble, Sunship, Seattle Harmonic Voices, and figeater—on a bright, sunny afternoon in June. The crowd was just the right size, with enough people to make people-watching worthwhile yet scattered enough to leave space for stretching out on the grass and listening.

At first, I sat near the running water of the reservoir and listened at a distance; the turbulent hiss of running water, laughing children, the musicians onstage, and stray bits of nearby dialogue melded into a live musique concrète. Closer to the stage, the occasional (and thankfully remote) sirens and the chalky baritone sigh of airplanes aloft in the sky fit the music snugly.

The July installment of Sounds Outside features cellist, composer, and visual artist Paul Rucker; improvising pianist Gust Burns, who brings along his battered collection of tape recorders; the Orkestar Zirkonium, which clatters like the joyous Balkan brass bands of yore; and the rowdy, out-jazz Monktail big band ensemble, Non Grata. It should be a grand time.

Sounds Outside, Sat July 14, Cal Anderson Park, 1632 11th Ave, 684-4075, 2–8 pm, free.

Source

• 10 months later...

Monktail Creative Music Concern presents

Sounds Outside 2008

July 19 & August 23, 2008

Cal Anderson Park / 1635 11th Ave (between Denny & Pine)

Free and open to the public

Music from 1 – 8 pm

Saturday, July 19

1:00 Paul Harding & the Juju Detective Agency

2:30 The Owcharuk Sextet

4:00 Bill Horist

5:30 Cuong Vu featuring SPEAK

7:00 Blue Cranes

Saturday, August 23

1:00 Floss featuring Zachary Watkins

2:30 Reptet

4:00 Aram Shelton + Special O.P.S.

5:30 Ahamefule J. Oluo and the New Seattle Brass Ensemble featuring Okanomodé

7:00 The Wally Shoup Free Three

In 2006, the Monktail Creative Music Concern teamed up with Seattle Parks and Recreation to produce Sounds Outside, a day-long festival of music in Capitol Hill’s Cal Anderson Park. The excitement of the first concert led MCMC to produce another multi-day festival in the summer of 2007, which featured performances by Wayne Horvitz, Skerik, Paul Rucker, and the Degenerate Art Ensemble, among others. It was met with much acclaim, not to mention naked bicyclists, surprise guests, and other creative happenings.

For 2008, MCMC has once again rallied the troops to produce the third annual festival series, Sounds Outside: A Celebration of Adventurous Music and Community. Boasting a dynamic line-up and an opportunity for audiences to get up close and personal with the artists in two action-packed, sound pumpin’ events, Sounds Outside 2008 will once again prove MCMC’s point – that creative music can be a whopping good time.

For one Saturday in July and in August, Cal Anderson Park will be filled with sounds of a different sort. Sounds Outside is an opportunity to share experimental music with the public at large, offering a new setting for the artists and new sounds to anyone willing to listen. Combined with arts-focused showcases, and supported by local foundations, organizations, businesses, and individuals, MCMC has assembled a lineup of some of Seattle’s most innovative, adventurous, experimental, and entertaining musicians. It is our hope that a diverse audience will come together to enjoy the upcoming festivities, and celebrate the dynamic community to which we all belong.

http://soundsoutside.com/

Monktail Creative Music Concern presents

Sounds Outside 2008

July 19 & August 23, 2008

Cal Anderson Park / 1635 11th Ave (between Denny & Pine)

Free and open to the public

Music from 1 – 8 pm

Saturday, July 19

1:00 Paul Harding & the Juju Detective Agency

2:30 The Owcharuk Sextet

4:00 Bill Horist

5:30 Cuong Vu featuring SPEAK

7:00 Blue Cranes

Saturday, August 23

1:00 Floss featuring Zachary Watkins

2:30 Reptet

4:00 Aram Shelton + Special O.P.S.

5:30 Ahamefule J. Oluo and the New Seattle Brass Ensemble featuring Okanomodé

7:00 The Wally Shoup Free Three

In 2006, the Monktail Creative Music Concern teamed up with Seattle Parks and Recreation to produce Sounds Outside, a day-long festival of music in Capitol Hill’s Cal Anderson Park. The excitement of the first concert led MCMC to produce another multi-day festival in the summer of 2007, which featured performances by Wayne Horvitz, Skerik, Paul Rucker, and the Degenerate Art Ensemble, among others. It was met with much acclaim, not to mention naked bicyclists, surprise guests, and other creative happenings.

For 2008, MCMC has once again rallied the troops to produce the third annual festival series, Sounds Outside: A Celebration of Adventurous Music and Community. Boasting a dynamic line-up and an opportunity for audiences to get up close and personal with the artists in two action-packed, sound pumpin’ events, Sounds Outside 2008 will once again prove MCMC’s point – that creative music can be a whopping good time.

For one Saturday in July and in August, Cal Anderson Park will be filled with sounds of a different sort. Sounds Outside is an opportunity to share experimental music with the public at large, offering a new setting for the artists and new sounds to anyone willing to listen. Combined with arts-focused showcases, and supported by local foundations, organizations, businesses, and individuals, MCMC has assembled a lineup of some of Seattle’s most innovative, adventurous, experimental, and entertaining musicians. It is our hope that a diverse audience will come together to enjoy the upcoming festivities, and celebrate the dynamic community to which we all belong.

http://soundsoutside.com/

I'll be there :g