PICTORIAL HISTORY OF JAZZ. Do you like this book?

I've got a late-60s edition that a relative gave me for Christmas back in '72 or so. The text is REALLY generic, but the pictures are cool. Not essential, but worth picking up for a good price.

As long as you're browsing, keep an eye out for something called The Jazz Scene, an early-70s book by somebody Fox (Charles?), and most importantly, some STUNNING photos by Valerie Wilmer, including one of Johnny Griffin that will make you laugh, one of Don Byas that will make you cry, and enough color pix of Miles' "lost quintet" in full then-contemporary regalia to give you a flashback, regardless of how old you are.

As long as you're browsing, keep an eye out for something called The Jazz Scene, an early-70s book by somebody Fox (Charles?), and most importantly, some STUNNING photos by Valerie Wilmer, including one of Johnny Griffin that will make you laugh, one of Don Byas that will make you cry, and enough color pix of Miles' "lost quintet" in full then-contemporary regalia to give you a flashback, regardless of how old you are.

Yeah, that's worth buying, in my opinion. Not a classic, but valuable photos and the text is sound, alright. Charles Fox was a decent critic - was on BBC radio three for ca 25 years - and, in my opinion, the last proper radio Jazz crictic we've really had. Up to date with the avant-garde, knowledgeable about all the rest. Really missed. He was one of the co-authors on "The Essential Jazz Records Vol 1", which is a really dense, rich read (and recommended). He doesn't get much of a chance to stretch out here, but it's decent enough.

And, yes, loads of character-full, unexpected, Wilmer photos.

Abebooks (second-hand mart) has copies.

Simon Weil

The photos in the Grauer book are definitely worth having, the reproduction is not the best, however, especially on the soft cover edition.

Then there is Black Beauty, White Heat: A Pictorial History of Classic Jazz, 1920-1950, compiled by Harry Lewine and Frank Driggs, published by William Morrow & Co. in 1982. Here the reproductions are better:

I was given a first edition of the Grauer/Keepnews book for a birthday present by my hip uncle. I loved it. They brought out a newer version a few years later, with added pictures of Trane etc. I loved that book, and spent a lot of time in it. The scope of the book was very good, covering the music from about 1895 through the late 50s, and, in the later edition, the early 60s.

I would definitely recommend any edition of it.

• 4 weeks later...

The photos in the Grauer book are definitely worth having, the reproduction is not the best, however, especially on the soft cover edition.

Then there is Black Beauty, White Heat: A Pictorial History of Classic Jazz, 1920-1950, compiled by Harry Lewine and Frank Driggs, published by William Morrow & Co. in 1982. Here the reproductions are better:

I have the above-mentioned book, Black Beauty, White Heat. A nice coffee-table early jazz book. Yes, I got it mainly for the pictures.