The Complete February 1957 Jimmy Smith Blue Note Sessions - Discograph

Kevin Bresnahan

I am considering picking up the Japanese RVG CD issues of Jimmy Smith's "A Date With Jimmy Smith Vol. 1" and "A Date With Jimmy Smith Vol. 2". However, I can't remember if my Mosaic box has extra material from these live dates. Could someone check their discography and tell me if there are any bonus tracks?

BTW, has anyone ever tried searching the forums for a thread with Mosaic in it? Or even Mosaic and Jimmy Smith? Fuggettabotit. You get like 1000 hits. :D

here's the discography:

The Complete February 1957 Jimmy Smith Blue Note Sessions (#154)

Discography

All sessions were recorded at Manhattan Towers in New York City using remote recording equipment brought in by Rudy Van Gelder.

Only U.S. issue numbers are used in this discography.

(A) Donald Byrd (tp), Lou Donaldson (as), Hank Mobley (ts), Jimmy Smith (org), Eddie McFadden (g), Art Blakey (d).

February 11, 1957

tk.3 Falling In Love With Love BLP-1547

tk.4 First Night Blues (omit horns) unissued

tk.5 Funk's Oats 45-1677, BLP 1547

tk.6 Zing Went The Strings Of My Heart (omit horns) BLP 1556

tk.8 Groovy Date BLP 1548

tk.9 I Let A Song Go Out OF My Heart BLP 1548

(B) Lou Donaldson (as), Jimmy Smith (org).

February 12, 1957

tk.1 I'm Getting Sentimental Over You 45-1668, BLP 1548

tk.2 Summertime 45-1667, BLP 1551

same session, add Eddie McFadden (g), Donald Bailey (d).

tk.3 Somebody Loves Me (omit as) BLP 1556

tk.5 Plum Nellie BLP 1552

tk.6 Plum Nellie (alternate take) 45-1668

same session, but Kenny Burrell (g), Art Blakey (d) replace McFadden and Bailey.

tk.8 Billie's Bounce BLP 1552

tk.10 Yardbird Suite BLP 1551, BST 89903

BNLA 159-2

tk.11 There's A Small Hotel (no as) BLP 1551

tk.12 All Day Long 45-1676, BLP 1551,

BST 89901

© Jimmy Smith (org), Eddie McFadden (g), Donald Bailey (d).

February 13, 1957

tk.3 The Third Day unissued

tk.4 All The Things You Are (omit g,d) BLP 1556

tk.6 The Fight (omit g,d) BLP 1556

tk.7 There Will Never Be Another You 45-1686, BLP 1556

tk.8 How High The Moon 45-1667, BLP 1547

tk.9 Buns A Plenty BLP 1552

tk.10 The Duel -1 BLP 1552

tk.11 Blue Moon 45-1685, BLP 1556

BNLA 400-2

tk.12 Cherokee unissued

-1 omit McFadden, Art Blakey replaces Bailey (d).

ALBUM INDEX

BLP 1547 A Date With Jimmy Smith - volume one

BLP 1548 A Date With Jimmy Smith - volume two

BLP 1551 Jimmy Smith At The Organ - volume one

BLP 1552 Jimmy Smith At The Organ - volume two

BLP 1556 The Sounds Of Jimmy Smith

BST 89901 Jimmy Smith's Greatest Hits (double LP)

BST 89903 Blue Note's Three Decades Of Jazz 1949-1959 (double LP)

BNLA 159-2 reissue of above

BNLA 400-2 Jimmy Smith (double LP)

Original sessions produced by Alfred Lion

Reissue produced by Michael Cuscuna

Executive producer: Charlie Lourie

Recording engineer: Rudy Van Gelder

Recorded in mono

All photographs by Francis Wolff

Design direction: Richard Mantel

Design production: InkWell Inc.

Masters courtesy of Blue Note Records, a division of Capitol Records, Inc under license from CEMA Special Markets.

(p)1994 CEMA Special Markets. Product of CEMA Special Markets, a subsidiary of Capitol-EMI Music Inc. All Rights Reserved. Unauthorized duplication is a violation of applicable laws.

©1994 Mosaic Records, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Producer's note:

The wealth of material that Jimmy Smith recorded for Blue Note from 1956 to 1962 could generate a dozen boxed sets. We've selected this three-day run in the studio not only because of the exceptional quality of the music, but also because it is a wonderful microcosm of his output. There are sextet jams, Jimmy's own trio with and without a soloist added and an all-star trio with Art Blakey and Kenny Burrell, as well as some experimental solos and duets. These three days set the pattern for the various contexts in which Smith would record throughout his Blue Note career.

Because of the extremes in tune length, we have had to stray farther than usual from chronological order in order to fit this material into the LP and CD formats. Since we have had to break the mold in this regard, we've tried to make the LP sequencing as musically sensible as possible. The first selection on Discs Two and Three are out of chronological sequence.

Unfortuately, no Francis Wolff photos exist from these three sessions. For the booklet, we have selected other session shots by the participants from the period of 1956-58.

I am considering picking up the Japanese RVG CD issues of Jimmy Smith's "A Date With Jimmy Smith Vol. 1" and "A Date With Jimmy Smith Vol. 2". However, I can't remember if my Mosaic box has extra material from these live dates. Could someone check their discography and tell me if there are any bonus tracks?

Just curious: if you already have the Mosaic, and now you're getting the JRVG's of these sessions, why would it matter if there are missing tracks on the JRVG's?

Just curious: if you already have the Mosaic, and now you're getting the JRVG's of these sessions, why would it matter if there are missing tracks on the JRVG's?

If I can replicate the Mosaic, I'll sell it. I rarely play my Mosaic CDs any more because a majority of my listening is done in the car. These CD sets are far too valuable to bring there.

Actually, I am really trying to switch over to old TOCJ CDs. I really like the sound of those most of all.

If I can replicate the Mosaic, I'll sell it. I rarely play my Mosaic CDs any more because a majority of my listening is done in the car. These CD sets are far too valuable to bring there.

Actually, I am really trying to switch over to old TOCJ CDs. I really like the sound of those most of all.

That's cool. If sound quality were your only concern, I can see where you're coming from. But why would you want to take along your TOCJ's in the car? Those are pretty pricey as well! Can't you just make CDRs of your Mosaics for the car? That's what I did! :tup

• 4 weeks later...

here's the discography:

The Complete February 1957 Jimmy Smith Blue Note Sessions (#154)

Discography

All sessions were recorded at Manhattan Towers in New York City using remote recording equipment brought in by Rudy Van Gelder.

Only U.S. issue numbers are used in this discography.

(A) Donald Byrd (tp), Lou Donaldson (as), Hank Mobley (ts), Jimmy Smith (org), Eddie McFadden (g), Art Blakey (d).

February 11, 1957

tk.3 Falling In Love With Love BLP-1547

tk.4 First Night Blues (omit horns) unissued

tk.5 Funk's Oats 45-1677, BLP 1547

tk.6 Zing Went The Strings Of My Heart (omit horns) BLP 1556

tk.8 Groovy Date BLP 1548

tk.9 I Let A Song Go Out OF My Heart BLP 1548

(B) Lou Donaldson (as), Jimmy Smith (org).

February 12, 1957

tk.1 I'm Getting Sentimental Over You 45-1668, BLP 1548

tk.2 Summertime 45-1667, BLP 1551

same session, add Eddie McFadden (g), Donald Bailey (d).

tk.3 Somebody Loves Me (omit as) BLP 1556

tk.5 Plum Nellie BLP 1552

tk.6 Plum Nellie (alternate take) 45-1668

same session, but Kenny Burrell (g), Art Blakey (d) replace McFadden and Bailey.

tk.8 Billie's Bounce BLP 1552

tk.10 Yardbird Suite BLP 1551, BST 89903

BNLA 159-2

tk.11 There's A Small Hotel (no as) BLP 1551

tk.12 All Day Long 45-1676, BLP 1551,

BST 89901

© Jimmy Smith (org), Eddie McFadden (g), Donald Bailey (d).

February 13, 1957

tk.3 The Third Day unissued

tk.4 All The Things You Are (omit g,d) BLP 1556

tk.6 The Fight (omit g,d) BLP 1556

tk.7 There Will Never Be Another You 45-1686, BLP 1556

tk.8 How High The Moon 45-1667, BLP 1547

tk.9 Buns A Plenty BLP 1552

tk.10 The Duel -1 BLP 1552

tk.11 Blue Moon 45-1685, BLP 1556

BNLA 400-2

tk.12 Cherokee unissued

-1 omit McFadden, Art Blakey replaces Bailey (d).

ALBUM INDEX

BLP 1547 A Date With Jimmy Smith - volume one

BLP 1548 A Date With Jimmy Smith - volume two

BLP 1551 Jimmy Smith At The Organ - volume one

BLP 1552 Jimmy Smith At The Organ - volume two

BLP 1556 The Sounds Of Jimmy Smith

BST 89901 Jimmy Smith's Greatest Hits (double LP)

BST 89903 Blue Note's Three Decades Of Jazz 1949-1959 (double LP)

BNLA 159-2 reissue of above

BNLA 400-2 Jimmy Smith (double LP)

Original sessions produced by Alfred Lion

Reissue produced by Michael Cuscuna

Executive producer: Charlie Lourie

Recording engineer: Rudy Van Gelder

Recorded in mono

All photographs by Francis Wolff

Design direction: Richard Mantel

Design production: InkWell Inc.

Masters courtesy of Blue Note Records, a division of Capitol Records, Inc under license from CEMA Special Markets.

(p)1994 CEMA Special Markets. Product of CEMA Special Markets, a subsidiary of Capitol-EMI Music Inc. All Rights Reserved. Unauthorized duplication is a violation of applicable laws.

©1994 Mosaic Records, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Producer's note:

The wealth of material that Jimmy Smith recorded for Blue Note from 1956 to 1962 could generate a dozen boxed sets. We've selected this three-day run in the studio not only because of the exceptional quality of the music, but also because it is a wonderful microcosm of his output. There are sextet jams, Jimmy's own trio with and without a soloist added and an all-star trio with Art Blakey and Kenny Burrell, as well as some experimental solos and duets. These three days set the pattern for the various contexts in which Smith would record throughout his Blue Note career.

Because of the extremes in tune length, we have had to stray farther than usual from chronological order in order to fit this material into the LP and CD formats. Since we have had to break the mold in this regard, we've tried to make the LP sequencing as musically sensible as possible. The first selection on Discs Two and Three are out of chronological sequence.

Unfortuately, no Francis Wolff photos exist from these three sessions. For the booklet, we have selected other session shots by the participants from the period of 1956-58.

what a shame I'm discovering this set only now...

Meaning you just got your hands on it, and are surprised it's taken this long to discover it? Or, does this mean you don't have it, and wish you did?

meaning I just discovered it, don't own it, and will probably cost me a fortune to buy it

Meaning you just got your hands on it, and are surprised it's taken this long to discover it? Or, does this mean you don't have it, and wish you did?

meaning I just discovered it, don't own it, and will probably cost me a fortune to buy it

Check your PM box.